Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

1/4 Airfoil Aviation Para(chute)plane?

Old 05-23-2003, 12:43 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/4 Airfoil Aviation Para(chute)plane?

Anybody got any experience with one of these? I flew mine for the first time and I was not impressed. The paraplane was rocking wildly from side to side the entire flight and was next to impossible to control, hard to turn. Winds were very light, about 5mph, so that couldn't have been it.

Thanks,
Andy

Here is what I bought:

www.airfoilaviation.com
Old 05-23-2003, 11:20 AM
RandyL
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I might be able to help some. I've been flying one for several years. I had all sorts of problems the first year but have since gotten things sorted out and it fly well. The launch is still the worst part.
Do you know what it weighs ( including the chute )?

What motor and prop?

Held by the chute cords, how is the balance? Tell me if the horizontal wood beam is level or pointed up or down at the nose wheel.

Mine flys smooth as long as you don't use too much throttle. Increasing throttle does not increase speed. It only affects altitude. Too much throttle and it will rock around. The more you over throttle it, the more wildly it will rock to disapate the unused power that it cannot convert. I have no problem at all with turning. It has always turned very well and will do a fun spiral straight down if held either full left or full right.
Let me know and I will compare your setting to mine. I did tear mine up a number of times before I figured it all out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80793_3328.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	47668  
Old 05-26-2003, 01:02 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I hold the paraglider by the chutes, the bottom of the front wheel lifts off of the ground by 3 inches.

I cannot for the life of me understand the poorly written instructions which way the alum bar needs to be 3 inches higher? Higher than what? I don't get it.....

HELP!

Thanks for the email and help. My CG was way off and the extra lead in the nose helped! I still need to trim out the risers so I can turn a little better in the left direction.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Carolina Raptor
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Homebrewer...

I too and facing some difficulties getting mine even in the air.. Never gets enough lift.

I wonder if each chute is tested or just made from a pattern. Mine will get the canopy up but very seldom much more and about a 50 or 60 degree angle.. Pretty much made by the book.. and your right.. the book offers little if any guide to trouble shooting any problems.

Tried 1/4 and 1/2 throttle takeoffs etc.. bending the angle on the bracket seems to offer llittle if any help.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:29 PM
MSK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/4 Airfoil Aviation Para(chute)plane?

Hi- I wonder if any of you have resolved your airfoil problems. I recently purchased a 1/4 scale which was easy to build etc, but come testing time the airfoil only lifts to about 30 to 40 degrees and can therefore not lift off the ground. I have now called the firm, E Mailed 6 times at least and sent a fax to no avail. It seems as though they do not care or do not have an answer to the problem.

Help please........
Old 10-25-2004, 03:58 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RandyL... that is the BEST pilot ever!

Hidee Ho!!

How do you keep him alive when it isn't the Christmas season??
Old 02-28-2005, 06:44 PM
2thfxr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carolina Raptor : Ihave a airfoil 1/4 scale had lift problems< I had the prop on backwards. The label faces to direction of movment of the craft just like on full scale aircraft. If the prop is on backward to craft will stil go forwards {pusher prop} but the air foil of the blade kills the efficiency and craft will not lift. 2TH FXR
Old 05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
xxl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had the same trouble from them never would respond they got me once but never again
ORIGINAL: MSK

Hi- I wonder if any of you have resolved your airfoil problems. I recently purchased a 1/4 scale which was easy to build etc, but come testing time the airfoil only lifts to about 30 to 40 degrees and can therefore not lift off the ground. I have now called the firm, E Mailed 6 times at least and sent a fax to no avail. It seems as though they do not care or do not have an answer to the problem.

Help please........