Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help with Triton Jr charger

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help with Triton Jr charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:49 AM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Triton Jr charger

I was using my charger to discharge a NiCd 600mAh 4.8V Rx pack with a setting of .5A and a cutoff voltage of 4.4V. When the charger finished discharging I connected a voltmeter to it and it said 4.7V I then connected the battery to my plane Rx to see if the servos still moved good and they seemed to move as if the pack still had a charge. I then connected the pack back up to the charger and set the cutoff at 4.3V. Im trying to get my battery to discharge without having to sit there and play with the controls all day. I can keep checking the pack by connecting it to my airplane but would like to know why my charger isnt dischargin correctly. Also what should I set my voltage cut off at. My charger when discharging reads a different voltage for the pack than when its not discharging. When discharging its reading around the cutoff but after it stops it reads about 4.7V. Please help.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 AM
kbailey45

Default RE: Help with Triton Jr charger

I went all the way down to 3.7V and after a minute or two it stops discharging but when I put a meter on it it still reads about 4.6-4.7V. I put it back into the plane and the servos still seem strong.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:23 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an ESV? Extended Scale Voltmeters are those $15-$20 things the hobby shops sell. They measure the voltage under load. They usually have a switch to set either for TX voltage or RX voltage. It's done that way because batteries that are not under load will read voltages that won't happen when the battery is actually being asked to supply electricity to a purpose.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:32 AM
kbailey45

I thought about that too but shouldn't the battery be very weak when i put it back in the plane. Also if someone knows. Will a factory charger that came with a Futaba radio system stop charging when the packs connected to it are fully charged.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM
badguy

everything is about the load. for example a ni-cd battery shows 1.4 volts when its fully charged and with no load on it. To discharge your battery, your triton is appliying a 0.5 amp of load. That's why its cutting it off. Your triton is not broken. If you try to discharge it under 0.1 amps it will probably take some more miliamps out of your battery.

The servos can move too. try holding the elevator while moving the servo. you will probably see that it wont move.

I don't know about the factory charger I have never used that

PS: discharging your battery under 1v per cell only damage the battery.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:29 PM
kbailey45

Thanks makes perfect sense. I flew both my nicad packs today and they worked great. Im gonna order me a loaded Volt meter. I have to say Im very excited right now we just started a small club and leased a field. We have a runway of 500 feet long by 85 feet wide (plenty of room lol). We had 26 people there today but not all pilots. It was a great experience getting that many people involved.