Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Landing gear struts for retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Landing gear struts for retracts

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:30 PM
WRX Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing gear struts for retracts

I have a Patriot 40 with mechanical retracts. Problem is, takeoffs and landings from flying at a grass runway bend the spring coils in the main landing gear backwards. It doesn't take much for the wheels to no longer line up with the wheel wells. Really don't want to cut into the wing to enlargen the wells.

Does anyone make a linear strut that would eliminate the need for the coil in the landing gear? Or would I be fine just using a straight piece of music wire since the grass absorbs the impact of a less than perfect landing.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:37 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Landing gear struts for retracts

I use straight wire all the time, but one thing you should do is to use 3/16" wire if you're not already. Most retracts can easily accomodat larger wire.

Just pick up a piece of music wire from your LHS and bend it yourself. All you need is a vise and a hammer (And a dremel tool or grinder for cutting them to size)

If you like, I'll go into detail as to how to bend them properly
Old 09-26-2008, 01:10 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Might be overkill, but you can get titanium struts that rebound better, i.e. they don't deform and take set as easily. http://www.centralhobbies.com/miscel...titstruts.html

Note from MinnFlyer:

replace the "****truts" in the link above with "t i t s t r u t s" without the spaces

The profanity filter blocked that one
Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 PM
WRX Dave

Thanks for the help. I'll try to pick up some wire in the next few days and try that.

Don't have a vice with me here. I wonder if the apartment owners would object to me using the corner of the building as an anvil...