Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo Question

Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 PM
ply2win
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Question

I am having something strange happen with one of my servos that I have never seen before. I am using a 72mhz radio and if I extend the tx antenna when I am standing by the plane one of the aileron servos doesn't respond. When I move the stick nothing happens and then all of a sudden it will deflect by itself and then return to neutral.

The plane uses two servos for the wing and they are connected to the receiver using a y-harness. If I push the tx antenna back down then the servo works fine or if I leave it extended and just walk about 6 feet away from the plane it also seems to work fine. This is only affecting one of the aileron servos, the other one always operates normally.

Does it sound like the servo should be replaced or it is just interference from standing too close to the plane?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
dignlivn

Default RE: Servo Question

If you have another servo try it.

Me, I would try a new servo. There is a
possibility of a dirt pot on the tx also. If
no joy with the new servo, then tx or rx
are suspects.

Hope that helps,

Bob
Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And if you have one try another Y, I have seen more problems with Ys then servos over the years.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:31 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

If it only happens when very close to the receiver, then there is a issue in the transmitter or receiver, i.e. overdriving the RX. I've actually seen this before on specific setups. Kinda wierd it is only one channel, so I doubt it is the TX/RX. but rather the servo. So if it happens all the time as I suspect, then it is probably a bad pot/wiring in the servo. If I understand your symptoms, I don't think a bad Y would cause the full defelction and return to neutral unless you moved the TX stick that way, but if I misunderstood your description, Y's or any connection for that matter can be sources of problems as greybeard pointed out.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 AM
ply2win

I guess I was hoping that maybe this is a "normal" thing that sometimes happens. Like I said, if I don't have the tx right next to the plane the servo seems to work fine.

I did try a different y-harness and that didn't help so it sounds like the servo is bad. I will just go ahead and replace it, I don't want the aileron getting a mind of it's own during a flight.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

OK, I don't know about "normal", but I have seen the issue before if it is only when close to the RX. In every case I have seen this there have been zero issues at range. Only acts up if within a few feet or so of RX. I don't know your radio, but there is a specific issue I can recreate on demand with a 9ZAP, synth module and PPM receiver that mimics this, but is effect all channels.

Try a differnet servo, or just swap channels. If the probelm follows the servo, it is a bad servo. If it stays with the channel, look at the RX. Do you have another RX to try? Maybe reroute the antenna?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:51 AM
ply2win

I plugged the servo into another channel and still had the same problem so I just went ahead and replaced the servo. It's working just fine now.

Thanks to all for the help.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 PM
jackdunn

I have run across some servos witth the wires cut off. They have one black and one red wires coming off the motot. and three white wires coming from the Pot. I've no idea how to connect up a connector to this. Can anyone suggest how to wire up thes servos?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 PM
sugarfox
My Feedback: (1)

Jack, are you saying there are 5 wires coming out of the servo? What is the name of this servo? I have never seen such a thing. This has got to be some kind of special servo for something other than what we are doing................sugarfox
Old 04-28-2009, 11:36 PM
superflea

If I understood him correctly, he is saying he has the normal wires coming out of the servo itself, but the wires have been cut at some point in time and have since been fixed with three white wires soldered in place so instead of red black yellow, as on my hitec servos he has white white white.
Don't know why he didn't just start a new thread though.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Stick 40

ORIGINAL: jackdunn

I have run across some servos witth the wires cut off. They have one black and one red wires coming off the motot. and three white wires coming from the Pot. I've no idea how to connect up a connector to this. Can anyone suggest how to wire up thes servos?
Are you saying , you have the servo apart and are looking at the inside of it.

Like said before , you would get more help if you started a new thread. Go back to the main pape and click on "new post"

Then enter your question, not a problem just thought you would get more help that way.

good luck

sticks
Old 04-29-2009, 02:51 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Not sure why the antenna position would cause the problem. I have seen bad servo extensions or y-connectors make the servo overshoot and return to the proper position (pretty freakin' scary if it happened while you were flying).
Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A standard servo cost from $9.00 to about $15.00, give some thought to just tossing these servos and get something that hasn't been changed or worked on, it may be cheaper then a new plane?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:34 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same problem when using 5 cell rx packs that are fresh off charge. Wiggle the controls a few times and it goes away. Futaba 9C Tx and GMS Rx.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 PM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

I  had servos with this wire arrangement on an old Aerobird Challenger electric from Horizon Hobby.   The 3 white wires were nested together.   These servos won't work with a standard RX since the Aerobird had a circuit board, not a standard RX for control.   All there is inside is a motor.