Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Burnt on glow fuel + Searching forums

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Burnt on glow fuel + Searching forums

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM
TxToby
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt on glow fuel + Searching forums

QUESTION #1
I have an OS MAX 46AX engine.... and just like all glow engines it kicks out plenty of fuel/oil. This weekend I was running the engine too lean and by the time I got the plane down the cylinder head was nasty-brown caked on burnt oil.

What is the best way to get this stuff off at this point?

QUESTION #2: How do I search the forums for previous posts on this exact topic??
I tried doing advanced searchs with different search terms (clean glow engine, glow engine, et et) but didn't come up with anything.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:01 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: Burnt on glow fuel + Searching forums

cook it in a slow cooker/ crock pot filled with antifreeze, this will get it off. just don't use a good one, it want be any good to cook food in again. i'm not to sure about the search part, when i use it i get alot of stuff i don't want
Old 10-03-2008, 01:58 PM
PoormansACE

slow cooker & antifreese works great. you can pick up an old crock pot at yardsales & goodwill for $5 all the time.

put your engine in overnight and presto! clean as a whistle.

I did this same trick with an Irvine, and was really looking forward to seeing that red powder coat all nice and bright again... It took that off too!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:32 PM
TxToby

Anti-freeze and a crock pot! HA, after reading the first post I thought it was a nasty joke to be played on the new kid on the block!! LOL

Ok, do I need to take the engine apart? Or do I unbolt it from the plane, take off the hoses, and just drop her in the pot to simmer for a few hours?

I'll borrow my inlaws pot overnight and promptly return it to them in the morning [:'(] (with a light wipe down)
Old 10-03-2008, 03:03 PM
nothinbetr2do

no, it's no joke on the new guy. and don't try to use the crock pot for food ever again, it will make you sick or kill you. and do this outside, it can smell real bad. this is how you do it, take apart the engine so you arent soaking the carb or any paper or rubber gaskets and put the case, muffler and head in the crock pot and set it to low over night. then flush with water and dry real good, put it back together and run it. that's how i do it
Old 10-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the paste-style paint-on, rub-off paint remover.
Use rubber gloves, and watch any spatter around your face.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Jetdesign

Do a search for Dawn Power Dissolver - supposed to remove that crap pretty well. They don't sell it at my local price chopper[&o]
Old 10-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Birman

If you leave Dawn Power Dissolver on too long, it will turn the aluminum black. Ask me how I know.[:@]