Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

best hinge to use

Old 05-26-2003, 01:13 AM
mrorv
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default best hinge to use

Whats the best hinge to use on either a 60 or 120 size ac. I've always used Dubro plastic hinges but have had two ailerons rip out that were not toothpicked in. I'm building a Lanier pitts w/ 60'' ws but will put an O.S. 160 on it. I've never really liked or used the robart stick type hinges, or the ca type but have been told by good flyers that they are the best to use being the plastic ones don't get the right amount of glue the others do. Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. THANKSmrorv
Old 05-26-2003, 01:19 AM
rcspud
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I personaly like to put a tooth pick through a plastic pinned hinge,seems to hold anything I can put the plane through. I usualy destroy wood before I pull or brake a hinge.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:34 AM
bear750
My Feedback: (30)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used CA hinges on a 27% Cap with no probs. I buy the uncut sheet of hinge material and cut my own, so they're larger than the precut ones.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:28 PM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've never had any kind of hinge come loose. "Real" flat hinges are good, but my favorite hinges are Robart Hinge Points.

If you're hinges come out no matter what the type, that is a construction error - not a problem with the hinge.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:22 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You need to rough up the hinge surface a little bit to make sure the glue sticks to it. I use a dremel and rough up each surface just a bit. I do like to pin them if possible. I use CA hinges for most planes, but 60 and larger I like to use the Dubro large hinges with the cotter pin so I can take surfaces off if I want to.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:33 PM
dickj
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best hinge to use

I use the Klett nylon hinges, rough them up a little if you like and then glue them in with Pacer PT-55 water clean up hinge glue. Use a 1/32 inch piece of music wire for the hinges. Full length of the control surfaces. Just bend it up a tad at each end and then it can easily be removed in one piece and you can repair the control surfaces or recove with ease. Never lost one yet! The water clean up glue works great.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:25 AM
bullseye000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My votes for the Klett hinges first, then the robart. It's more of a personal preference for me than it is a quality issue. I've also used ca hinges with great results. I also like to make some control surfaces removeable.