Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lazy Ace control throws

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lazy Ace control throws

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:16 AM
topwinguk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy Ace control throws

Hi

I'm just completing a 76" Lazy Ace Bipe and would like details of control throw deflections. can anyone help? Also when fitting the ailerons I notice that the control horn is well aft of the hinge line. This would give adverse differential i.e. more down than up, opposite to normally used. Does this cause any problems?

Thanks

Tony
Old 10-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lazy Ace control throws

I'd definatelly move that horn to get the proper geometry between it's pivot point and the hinges. On my Lazy Aces, two big ones and one smaller one, I put all the throw I could get into the ailerons, also rudder. In fact I found that a larger rudder was always a benefit and always enlarged (increased the area of the rudder) on all of them. Most important was being sure that the incidence on the upper wing was about 1.5 degrees less than that on the lower wing. Also about 5 degrees downthrust and 3 degrees right thrust.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 PM
viperdada

You are exactly right about those throws, and trhust angle. the RCM plans show this. I flew mine today and that plane flys like a dream, as this is my first bi-plane, scratch built, OS 91 powered. This is a very stable plane and the plans seem to be spot on, so all advise is very good Rodney, I only put 3 degrees down and to the right though, swinging a 14x8 Master Air screw K

pl
Old 11-08-2008, 05:19 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys, Are there still kits available for the Lazy Ace?
I see some are powered by larger engines such as a SuperTiger 3000. Is a smaller 4 cycle enough for climbing maneuvers/ etc?
Thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 05:56 PM
OldRookie

I have the 76" version. I picked it up on ebay about 6 years ago, and that was kind of a find back then. I had it in my ebay watch for almost a year before one came up for sale then. I still haven't built mine.
It is kind of interesting that the Lazy Ace is still mentioned as often as it is, for the length of time it has been out of production.
There were plans available for the Lazy Ace line of planes also. It would be easier, and cheaper to get the plans and have a kit cutter cut the ribs and formers, and just supply your own stick and sheet balsa. I think the ribs were flat bottom type airfoil on the 76" version, and would be easy to make. Didn't Chuck have a version with a semi-symmetrical airfoil?
I don't remember if you can build from the plans that came with the kit or not.
I wonder how well a Saito 100 would pull the 76" version?

Greg
Old 11-08-2008, 06:12 PM
GarySS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess plans are still available for $22.50. I have the original R/C Modeler construction article/magazine, too. It would have to be a scratch build project.

Click on:
http://www.fwthunderbirds.org/lazy_ace.htm