Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Difference between 9CAP and 9C Super

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Difference between 9CAP and 9C Super

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 PM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between 9CAP and 9C Super

I want a 9C pcm radio and have seen both of these but dont really know the difference. I will be going in a 50cc plane. I want to make sure I have the capabilities to use 2 elevator servos with programming on the Tx as well as 2 ailerons without a harness. The main reason I want to buy one of these is that Futaba only makes the 10C now and its $600. I would like to find one with a r149 pcm receiver. Also I seen one for sale with a FP-R148DP and looked and thats a micro receiver is that OK. Ive never dealt with radios with anything more than 6 channels but have someone to help me do the programming. I dont want JR I prefer Futaba why I dont know just a thing I guess. Also how do you set up 2 batteries on your Rx one for backup. If you use 2 different slots on the receiver then an 8 channel receiver wouldnt be enough since ill have 6 for servos and 1 for a kill switch. How does this work. Please help Im new at the 50cc size and gasser stuff. But would love to buy a gallon of gas for my plane for only $3 vs $20.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Difference between 9CAP and 9C Super

KBaily45,

I have a 9CAP and feel and find it to be more radio than I will ever need. I beleve the 9CAPS has the synthesized module that will allow you to change frequencies easily on the transmitter. There are probably some programming enhancements thrown in as well.plus a larger model memory. If I might make a suggestion. Take a look at the Futaba 2.4 GHZ radios. Since your looking at gas with spark ignition the risk of radio interference is less with the 2.4 GHZ systems. I have witnessed this at our flying site. I know the PCM systems are a far cry above the FM systems in respect to suseptbility to radio interference. The Futaba 10 & 12 channel 2.4 systems offer a high degree of programming as well. Why not purchase the latest technology and get all the advantages as well. It's really great not to worry about someone turnig on their radio on your channel. Although there is nothing wrong with PCM technology and many R/Cers feel there is no need to change from what they have. However, if you are buying a new system, 2.4 GHZ you will not be dissapointed with or sacrifice any features available with PCM.

I hope this has been helpful, I'm sure others will add their thoughts also.

Good luck and let us know what the end result is.

Gerry
Old 10-20-2008, 11:40 PM
bigdarylg

i think if you google futaba there is a website that has FAQ, if i remember right it explains the differences of a 9c to a 9c super
Old 10-21-2008, 05:57 AM
kbailey45

Ive heard a lot of horror stories about 2.4. Plus Im looking at having to spend $600 on a 10C.I will eventually go to 2.4 but would like to give it a little more time.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

The differences between the 9C and the 9C Super, is 4 more models in the memory and a 3 function timer vs, a 2 function timer. That's all! I've been flying with a 9CHP for about 6 years now. You will not outgrow this radio anytime soon!
Doug
Old 10-21-2008, 06:52 AM
HeliTB

I have the 9CAP which is the airplane version. It can hold 18 models in memory (12 in the radio and 6 on the card). I have purchased the FASST 2.4ghz for 9C and love it. So I can do both 72mhz and 2.4Ghz. I agree I was looking at the 10C but could not justify the cost at the time. When I bought the 9C I had the XPS 2.4ghz system in it with great success, but then I decided to go with the FASST 2.4ghz.

I'm running dual elevators on my 25% Extra gasser. I also have dual rudders and nose wheel servo mixed (yep 3 servos plugged into to different channels) on my Bobcat 50 Jet plugged into my FASST 2.4Ghz 8-Channel receiver, but what is really cool is that when my retracts are up I disable the nose wheel steering. This is one awesome radio, more programming option than I know what to do with. I love this radio. Everytime I buy a new plane I find a feature on my radio.

My only recommendation would be to get a larger capacity transmitter battery. I bought a 1600mAh for mine.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 AM
kbailey45

I really like the 9C radios and that may be the way I go is to buy the module for 2.4 later.My only problem is I have to buy a used 9C since Im having a very hard time finding a new one. I cant believe Futaba quit making them. I even called Futaba about it.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:42 AM
kbailey45

Does the new 2.4 7C have the capabilities to do 2 elevator and 2 aileron servos without anything else.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:18 AM
firstplaceaviator

Does the new 2.4 7C have the capabilities to do 2 elevator and 2 aileron servos without anything else.
Yes, but it does not have near the amount of mixing functions that the 9C's do. I would buy a used 9C over a new 7C any day. Just make sure you buy it from a reputable seller and get it checked out by a radio shop like Radio South before you fly it!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
kbailey45

How much does it cost to get it "checked out". I found one website that still has them new with the syntesized receiver for $450. I have found a few on here but need to know if it will save me any money by the time I get it checked out. I looked at the 7C 2.4 some more and realized the receivers they come with wouldnt be adequate for the channels I need. 6 for servos 1 for kill switch and I will be putting 2 Rx batteries one for backup. I dont like the idea of y-harnessing a battery and servo. If the receiver had 7 channels and a battery slot it would be ok. As far as mixing I dont plan on ever going any higher than 50cc and dont plan on doing a whole lot of mixing, just the 2 aileron servos and 2 elevator servos. What would be a good price for a used 9CAPS PCM with PCM receiver?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still use my 9-C but may upgrade to the add on 2.4 in the future., when the 2.4 systems became the must have item you could buy A nice used 9-C for about 150 bucks all day long.
With the 9-C and an 8 ch RX ch #8 is the default for the other elevator servo, you just have to plug into 8/B and actavate it. Two aileron servos are ch #1 and/or ch #6 or #7. Most planes I set up A single rudder servo but on my newest plane I'm setting up right now I have two servos for the rudder and have them set up like two elevator servos with 4-40 rods doing A push pull, for this I set up the servos with A match box but the radio can do it too. The match box was just an easier set up and I had A brand new one in my shop that I had never used, figured now was the time to dust it off.
Sounds like maybe you should go visit the Futaba site and read the instructions so you have an idea about what this radio can and can't do. This site will also tell you about using two batteries but most people just use A Y harness and plug into one slot or use two switches and plug into two slots.
Read up on this stuff then ask the questions here, you will understand things better that way.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 AM
badguy

I am using a 9 CAPS for a year now. As I know the difference between them are super has 3 timers normal has 2. It has some difference in heli and glider menus.

If I were you I would buy the 10C. 2.4 Ghz is the newest technology so why buy an old one. Especially if you are planning to use it in a gas powered plane 2.4 receivers don't have any problems with the ignition.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:19 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The "super" doesn't come with a synth module unless you order that version of it.

Also the programming differences are more than just the timer and model memory, depending on what you fly they can be minor or significant.

http://www.futabarc.com/radios/futk75.html has the whole story
Old 10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
kbailey45

I would go with the 10C but I will have to spend a lot more money. Does PCM have problems with interferance from ignition.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:56 PM
firstplaceaviator

I have found a few on here but need to know if it will save me any money by the time I get it checked out.
I recently sold my my 9CAP here for $220.00 shipped. I now fly everything with my 9CHP. Personally, I wouldn't pay much more than $225.00 shipped, since the 2.4 GHz 10C is only $600.00. Check around with your local clubs to see if anyone can nearby check out our radio for you. That would save on shipping it back and forth.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PPM and PCM are still both FM but the PCM filters better. I use them both with gas engines and haven't had any RF problems. It's more about learning how to set up A gas plane then the radio you are using. With 2.4 you can get very sloppy and not have any problems, with FM you have to set up your plane correctly. Do yourself A favor and read up on both gas plane set up and the Futaba 9-C series of radios. The Futaba site is very good and there are several forums you can learn about gas plane set up right here on RCU. Your LHS probably has books on the subject. It isn't all the hard and I have run into this stuff on other web sites. At present I'm setting up A 30% Extra with A G-62 with A mag, not an electronic ignition and I'm betting there will be no RF to worry about or have to trace looking for A problem. I'm using my 9-C and A PCM RX. Do some research!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

The "super" doesn't come with a synth module unless you order that version of it.

Also the programming differences are more than just the timer and model memory, depending on what you fly they can be minor or significant.

http://www.futabarc.com/radios/futk75.html has the whole story
I've had a 9CAP since they first came out nad recently picked up a 9CAPS for a backup. Well, actually, I transferred all my models over to the Super and I'm keeping the 9CAP for backup. I had all my models in the 9CAP and was worried that if something happened to it I wouldn't be flying for awhile.

You guys are forgetting the most important difference of them all. The 9CAPS has the cool blue LED.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:42 PM
kbailey45

Well I found a 9C Super for the right price it should be here sometime next week Thanks for all the help