Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Micro Receiver

Old 10-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Woodruff-X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Receiver

This may sound like a stupid question but what is the range on a micro receiver? I want to do the flap addition to my Nexstar and bought a receiver today. I was so concerned about getting one that worked with my Futaba radio that I didn't realize it was a micro receiver. It's the Hitec Electron 6. Can I use it or should I get a different one. Plus I got a Futaba crystal for it and it says "Must use HITEC Dual Conversion receiver crystal". The Futaba one I bought is dual conversion too, but will it work in this receiver.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:15 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Micro Receiver

The Electron 6 is a full range Rx that is an excellent performer. I think I have eleven or twelve of them in a wide variety of aircraft.

If yours is a negative shift version then it will work with your Futaba and in my opinion it will work better than some old standby Futaba offerings.

Heed the Hitec crystals only in a Hitec Rx. This is sop for any brand and Should never be deviated from. It may work for you however you just made yourself the test pilot, good luck and performance/range reductions are hard for the end user to detect. Crystals are ordered from manufacturers custom cut to the electrical characteristics of their product and no they are not always cut the same.

The Electron 6 comes with two tiny rubber bands in a packet that are to be slipped over the crystal per the drawing, do not omit these.

John

corrected a typo
Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 AM
KW_Counter

Woodruff,
The receiver should work fine.
The Electron 6 is not a micro receiver.
However, you do need the Hitec crystal for it.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 10-25-2008, 09:56 AM
carrellh

If you bought the receiver and crystal at the same time, from a hobby shop, they should have told you to get a Hitec crystal.

You should always use receiver crystals that are the same brand as the receiver. There are some 'third party' crystals available that are listed as 100% compatible with specific brand receivers. Performance Devices is one manufacturer who says they make compatible crystals http://www.performancedevices.com
Ordering is through shopatron
http://www.shopatron.com/index/191

They do not really have a good deal on products for Hitec. $7.95
They also charge $7.95 for their Futaba compatible part, which is a good price.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:59 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a good Rx. I have 6 of them in planes and helicopters. They have been flawless for me. It may look a little small, but it is a RX that is dual conversion so it is a good RX for any plane.

Yes as stated above, you will need a Hitec crystal for the Electron 6 on the Freq. of your Futaba Tx.

Dru.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Woodruff-X

Thanks for all the info guys. It's good to hear that this receiver is a good one. I heard that you can interchange some crystals and my frequency is listed as "Odd" so they didn't have a Hitec crystal in my freq, but they did have a Futaba. I'll try it out to see if it works. Now if it does work is there a possibility that it my affect the range? Or is it one of those thing where if it works, it works completely - if it doesn't work, it never will?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:11 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hitec crystals ARE avaliable for the full spectrum and are avaliable at more dealers than even Futaba if you dealer does not have your channel then find another its as simple as that. Agine do not use the Futaba crystal It may appear that it works to you however at that point you may have turned your radio into a dirty radio and your fellow flyers will not appreiciate that! You bought a quality product do not hinder its performance with an improper crystal.

By the way the high low thing does not apply to Hitec Rx's period any hitec Rx is plug and play across the band. That is an antiquated tuning method only recently abandoned by Futaba.

Agine you are overamping about range This Rx in my opinion is a superior performer than the Rx that likely originally came with your radio.

John
Old 10-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Woodruff-X

Ok. Thanks John I'll order a Hitec crystal tomorrow. I'll hold onto this crystal for when I get a Futaba receiver. My radio has 6 model memory so I'll just save that for another plane. All I'm trying to do right now is the flap addition to my Hobbico Nexstar. I'm just really afraid of range issues and don't want to cause an accident, that's why I questioned the range again. My radio came with a micro receiver and I was told LATER that it should only be used for park flyers. So that's why I question micro receiver for larger aircraft. But you and others have expained that this receiver will work just fine, so I'll order me the Hitec crystal and call it good. Thanks again.