Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Aileron servo tube

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aileron servo tube

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:56 PM
rheauljj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron servo tube

I want to make a tube to run my aileron servo wires to their wing locations. I was thinking a cardboard tube but I can't find anything that I can buy that will work. The tube would need to be rather small diameter.

What options exist out there?

Old 10-25-2008, 04:05 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Aileron servo tube

The hobby shop or craft store mightt have some cardboard tube. You could also jut roll up some regular paper. It doesn't have to take any stress, just guide the wires when you pull them through.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:42 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

I have been using the rocket tubes from the local hobby shop. They are 1/2 inch size and just right to run extensions thru. I put them in and run a long piece of light music wire with a hook bent on one end to pull the extension thru.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:20 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Roll your own. Use whatever size wood dowel that will give the diameter you need. Then get some paper and tape. I use 8 1/2 x 11 typing paper and masking tape. Cut the paper into strips about an inch wide and put the tape along one edge, half on the paper and half off. Place the paper and tape on the dowel at an angle and wrap it around so the tape holds it together. Cheap and light. It takes some practice. By sliding the dowel out of the paper tube you can make really long tubes.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:31 PM
jetmech05

rolled up paper works very well...copier paper would work the best
Good Flyin to ya
Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 PM
WB6LLW

I have successfully used polyethelene tubing or something similar. I got it from the hardware store and it is used for water line when you want to add an icemaker or other device that needs water. The small tubing used for a drip watering system might also work but I haven't tried it. I have also used the outer sleeve of a Sullivan GoldenRod push rod but they don't bend very well. Good Luck.

Norm WB6LLW
Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what 88 said, make sure you CA the ends so they don't snag or roll over when pulling your wires. Easy, cheap and light.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:16 AM
rheauljj

ORIGINAL: R8893

Roll your own. Use whatever size wood dowel that will give the diameter you need. Then get some paper and tape. I use 8 1/2 x 11 typing paper and masking tape. Cut the paper into strips about an inch wide and put the tape along one edge, half on the paper and half off. Place the paper and tape on the dowel at an angle and wrap it around so the tape holds it together. Cheap and light. It takes some practice. By sliding the dowel out of the paper tube you can make really long tubes.

Excellent idea... I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice~