Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Deans Mini Antenna

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Deans Mini Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:11 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deans Mini Antenna

Been searchin' the intenet and can't find a dealer with the Deans two piece mini antenna in stock. Anyone know where I can purchase one?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Deans Mini Antenna

Not sure if this is what you're looking for. I've used them for years. It's a base loaded antenna. They are about 7" or 8" long. I buried part of this one inside the airframe. I am going for a "stand way the hell off in the distance" scale look and it was too tall to look REMOTELY scale. It pokes out the sheeting on top and there is about 3" exposed. Plane is 80" Citabria.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=RVO1010
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25682.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1062827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86497.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1062828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47513.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	1062829  
Old 10-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most times that you use a shortened antenna, you will definitely lose some range, at least 50%. In most cases this will still be enough for most RC models so you can usually get by using them. Just do a good range check if you install one to be sure your range is still adequate. If you are really serious about the effects on range when you change antenna lengths, check out Mr. RC Cam's website for some valid tests and information.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 AM
deadstickdan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last time I went to buy one I went to Hobby People and they had one. That store is always a frustrating experience for anyone who flies planes. The funny thing is that they usually keep these antennaes in the r/c car section and if you read the packing it said those antennaes are not recommended for r/c cars.

Dan
Old 10-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never experienced any loss of range with a base loaded antenna. I've used several of these antenna over the years with glow engines. With my TX antenna down, I've never noticed even a 10% drop in range. Never noticed ANY range problems.

I've experimented with cutting the stock RX antenna to different lengths. The length is what gives you the range. These are 1/4 wave antenna. On the Revolution that I linked too in my first post, the instructions tell you to cut your factory antenna off at 4" from the RX and hook it up to the base loaded antenna. I knew that length was critical, so on the first one of these that I installed, I cut my RX antenna to 6" and hooked it up. I had some loss in range. So I began cutting the antenna off 1/2" at a time. Each time I cut off a bit, I got better reception. I finally ended up right at 4" of length before I got back to the same reception as a stock antenna. Just like the instructions told me to do. [:-]

I've never had any problems with these antenna. I didn't trust them at first, but after experimenting with different RX antenna lengths and doing my own testing, I'm completely confident.

The Citabria in my first post will have a gasoline engine. This will be my first time using one of these base loaded antenna with a gas engine and electronic ignition system. I will report performance after some testing.

Glow engines? 100% confidence for me.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:52 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

anyone that sells helicopter stuff will sell deans. I have one on one of my 72mhz radios was on there to begin with.

here is one by another company
http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=101565

here is one from mta hobbies
http://ecsvr.com/mta/shopexd.asp?id=1396

both are reputable companies a heli friend of mine recommends.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks to all for the comments and links for the Deans whip antenna. I was specifically looking for the Deans 2-piece as I have ued it on other airplanes. The whip is removable which helps prevent hanger damage and damge during transport to and from the field. I found one "in stock" at zoomsheli.com .

I have a lot of respect for the Deans two piece for reception. I forgot to install the whip on a flight and had no problems. I was shocked to see it missing when I landed the plane after a normal 8 minute flight. Now I install a piece of weed wacker line with a flag on it as soon as I remove the whip. The flag reminds me to install the whip before taking to the air.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60349.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	1063111  
Old 11-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As an EE who has spent many years in intrumentation and on RF ranges, as well as HAM radio, I can guarantee that if you shorten an antenna (even after it is properly base loaded) you will have less range than the you had before you shortened it. Even if everything is perfectly tuned (proper adjustment of the base loading) you have lost capture area and will also lose range. We are just furtuneate that most of your better RC radio receivers have quite good design and we ignorantly live happily with the reduced range. It is when you get into the less well designed units that you run into range problems quite quickly. Again, if you are truley interested in accurate reporting, check out Mr. RC Cam's web site for actual test results done properly.