Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

K&B engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 03:50 PM
profeagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B engine

bought a K&B .40 airplane engine,but I don't know exactlly what I have ? Can somebody tell me from the following description ? - has perry pump & carb & and a twin pipe [ high performance muffler ?] Muffler held on by a strap [only way].It is stamped on motor bearing with # a0006034. Help please??????? and thanks in advance. prof.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: K&B engine

Sounds like an old, standard K&B 40. Bushed engine that was good for reliability but not the highest in power output. The Perry carb was originally added to improve reliability in idle and low end. A good many of them were tricked out and modified for racing. Clarence Lee originally designed the engine, I believe, and still works on them to this day.

It's been a long, long time so there's a chance I have the bushings mixed with bearings...
Old 10-22-2005, 08:18 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

the engine should have dual ball bearings,the pump should be used in conjunction with a large bore/pump car to increase performane up to that of a schnurle ported engine.it also allows the tank to be posirtioned almost any where.some people have problems with the pump.and just run the fuel line to the carb inlet and then you have to watch tank location.it is a good engine in 40 size planes.it uses a dykes ring so when turned by hand there is not much compression,that is normal.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:10 PM
profeagle

Thanks for the imformation,so are you saying that this a factory made -up engine for better performance or has somebody added the perry parts? Is the muffler a perry item?I have never seen one like it before [looks very racey]. It has at least one bb that I can see through back plate opening & yes it does have a ring & not much compression even though it appeares to be unused condition.

One more thing,I don't like the carb as it is stiff to operate even after a good disassembly & cleaning,can you recommend another one? Anyone?

Finally, does anyone have a carb I can buy that will work on this engine?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:22 PM
sbd-5
Banned

pery carbs are one of the best carbs made nothing should really interfere with the throtle barrel roraing,try some wd-40 on it.the idle adjustment is the brass disc on the side with the needle valve the slot in the disc should be in the middle of the + and - signs to start.this disc is held in place with an o-ring and should be harder to move from the friction of the seal.it only needs to be moved a very little bit to make changes in the idle mixture.this engines are a stock production item from around mid 70's to the early 80's they were recommended for the old royal c-47 where the tanks were mounted in the fuselage not the nacelles.the pipe sound like some ones after market pipe prbably a mac's as they were popular when this engine was being made.a lot of people have replaced their os,webra,hp and supertigre carbs with the perry.only part that may need to be replaced is the o-ring.k&b still makes the basic engine with their own version of the perry carb,it should fit but may need a reducerfor the front plate opening.the 2nd ball bearing is located behund the prop drive washer.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:42 PM
profeagle

Ok, thanks again for the imfo. I'll work on it, [ the carb ]somemore[:-]
Old 10-23-2005, 08:45 AM
kdheath

Is this the critter? This is the standard style K&B 40 with the pump and carb from Perry. It is dual ball bearing. The front bearing is just small enough diameter that it looks like a sleeve bearing front end. It is a Dykes ring as noted. These can be hard to hand start because of the seemingly low compression. A drop of fuel in the exhaust helps by getting some fluid seal at the ring, or just bump it with an electric starter. I would run more oil content in the fuel than you may be used to-probably 20-22%, half castor. Rings are pretty easy to change. We used to run a local Quickie 500 race series with stock K&B 40s and rebuilt them on picnic tables and tailgates all over West Texas. Parts are still pretty plentiful on daBay. MECOA owns the K&Bs now. Don't know the status of parts from them. Perry is still very much alive and can help with the carb and pump:
http://www.perrypumps.com/prod01.htm
Can you post a picture of the muffler? I'm curious to see it. It might be a late K&B item or something aftermarket. The early 40s didn't have any muffler lugs. Toward the end, K&B added enough material around the exhaust stack to drill for muffler bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24579.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	342782  
Old 10-24-2005, 06:26 PM
profeagle

Thanks for all the information guys, I now know what i have. here are the pictures of engine and muffler. so what do you think of this muffler?

you will notice my engine is exactly the one as posted in the previous posts attachment!

you will notice I included a home made muffler in the pictures aswell, enjoy! [:-]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67311.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	343561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87695.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	343562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78712.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	343563  
Old 10-24-2005, 07:26 PM
kdheath

For the life of me, I can't remember who made those twin stack mufflers. I think maybe Mac's Mufflers. But if they did, they don't list them any more. It's for sure an aftermarket item that was on available a few years ago. Enjoy your K&B. Give it plenty of good oil and it'll give you lots of good flying.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:44 PM
profeagle

ok kd,I'll do that.

btw, I found the problem with the carb,seems someone had put something down the carb throat and caused a canker or at lest a injury to the barrel.A few strokes with a fine file and presto,no more hang-up.whew!

So now I can put her to work,thank you all.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:24 AM
APIA

If you did not know, and need parts for this engine, it is a model 8011. There are two 40s in the K&B family the 4011 and the 8011. I personally prefer the 4011 as you don't have to drill your props oversize to fit the hubs of the 8011. Look on MECOA.com for all conceivable info. There are exploded parts breakdowns as well as operating info.
-Tom
Old 10-29-2005, 09:00 AM
sbd-5
Banned

that muffler was made by slimline they used that manifold for many of thier muffler options.there was one i used for scale ships that was just the manifold with undrilled exhaust stups that allowwed you to drill out the ones you wanted and then connect two high temp silicone tubes that had springs inside to prevent collapsing when bent.this way you could position the exhuast in scale location.