Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber in Mid Star 40??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Carbon fiber in Mid Star 40??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 PM
mxaexm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber in Mid Star 40??

Guys I'm thinking of building the Sig Mid Star 40 and my objective is to build it as light as possible...what do you think of using the carbon fiber in some of the areas to make it lighter?

thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: Carbon fiber in Mid Star 40??

the Mid Star is a good airplane..to me carbon fiber would make it heavier...but a 46AX on it and have a ball
Old 11-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on how you fly.

A friend of mine used to fly .46 powered Mid Stars. He broke the wings on 2 of them doing full power blenders or pile drivers-full power straight down dive, full aileron roll, then snap controls. He started using CF on the top and bottom of the main spars and never had any more trouble.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:16 AM
jetmech05

oh...the Midstar is not a 3D airplane....there are alot of airplanes that would snap spars doing the moves you describe...in that case I guess CF would work....my Midstar snap rolls quick and is fun to fly.....but I don't do 3D
Good Flyin to ya
Old 11-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Stew99

The MidStar 40 is an excellent airplane built straight out of the box. In fact I believe the leading edge and turtle deck are too flimsy so I used heavier wood in these areas. On my second one I shortened the wingspan and put larger ailerons and rudder on it. It's still not a 3D plane but it will hover with a .46.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't seen anyone mention 3-D?? If you are refering to the stunts Ed mentioned they are just weekend Plane Fun but they can hurt A plane. Carbon Fiber sheeting can add A lot of strength in A lot of places. On some planes I like to use carbon fiber arrow shafts for control rods instead of wood dowels but that is more of A stiffness thing then weight. Carbon fiber has A lot of good uses on A plane.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Ed Smith

Guys I'm thinking of building the Sig Mid Star 40 and my objective is to build it as light as possible...what do you think of using the carbon fiber in some of the areas to make it lighter?
In which areas, what for and what material is being replaced?

Ed S