Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Jett Powered SIG King Cobra

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Jett Powered SIG King Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:39 PM
ramcharger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jett Powered SIG King Cobra

[>:]I just finished a Jett 91L powered Sig King Cobra for a fellow Spirits of StL RC Club member. It weighs
in at 8.0 lbs. I have been asked to make the first flight. It has Spectrum 2.4 radio and I'm not real
comfortable with the way you trim plane while in flight. Any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:12 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Jett Powered SIG King Cobra

If you find trimming an airplane a challenge, you might want someone wlse to do the test flights.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:13 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no photos? [X(] sounds like a nice one.

david
Old 11-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Ed Smith

I just finished a Jett 91L powered Sig King Cobra for a fellow Spirits of StL RC Club member. It weighs
in at 8.0 lbs. I have been asked to make the first flight. It has Spectrum 2.4 radio and I'm not real
comfortable with the way you trim plane while in flight. Any suggestions?
Before you even think of flying it, balance it. Balance it accurately according to the kit instructions. When I say accurately I mean none of this "Fingertip under the wingtips" stuff. Make up a couple of stands and do it on a flat workbench. If it is done at home then the tools are at hand if things have to be moved around inside.

Ed S
Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Villa

Hi ramcharger
I built a Sig King Cobra in 1983. It is a gorgeous plane. Lot of work building it. Mine was a kit. What are they now? My advice is: if you are not comfortable trimming in flight, you should not fly this plane. It is a pattern ship and in many ways is easy to fly. Goes just where you want it to go. But first it must be trimmed and balanced right. I totaled mine when the plastic clevis on the elevator failed. I only use steel Sullivan clevises now, with the locking clip.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:19 PM
ramcharger

I balanced the plane at 5.12 inches behind the front of the wing. Sig reccommends
5.25 inches. I used digital balance, a level, and the torque formula publised in
RC Modeler magazine back in the mid 1990's.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:27 PM
ramcharger

The Sig King Cobra that I made for another club member and discussed in this thread was flown
for the first time this last week. Another club who owns a Jett 50 tuned the engine and flew it
for the first. I wasn't there but heard it went great. I flew it the 2nd & 3rd time 2 days later.
The engine idles great and the plane flies incredible. I wish it was mine. The owner said the
JETT 91 cost $300. Ouch! The owner flew it some on the 5th flight and seemed a little sqeemish
with the speed. The engine and plane make a nice combination.