Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Mejzlik balancing

Old 05-31-2003, 12:40 AM
JBjr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Mejzlik balancing

I've just recently picked up a 22-10 Mejzlik prop for my 97" Laser. Problem is, the balance is off and it's in one side of the hub. I've seen wooden and plastic props drilled slightly to decrease weight on the heavy side, but is it safe to do that to a carbon fiber? Just curious if there's a solution to this or not. TY

James
Old 05-31-2003, 02:26 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WHat I do is sand the FRONT side of the blade that is heavy and then BUFF it to polish it back up. OR you can spray the light side with clear laquer, again on the front side. I use a combination of both most of the time. The biggest problem you run into when balancing ANY prop is you change the STATIC BALANCE.....how much each blade "PULLS"
Old 06-02-2003, 09:22 PM
JBjr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by CAPtain232
WHat I do is sand the FRONT side of the blade that is heavy and then BUFF it to polish it back up. OR you can spray the light side with clear laquer, again on the front side. I use a combination of both most of the time. The biggest problem you run into when balancing ANY prop is you change the STATIC BALANCE.....how much each blade "PULLS"
The problem Captain is that the extra weight isn't in a blade, it's in the center hub! I've drilled wooden props with this problem to even out the weight but not sure if I can do it with this carbon fiber prop. I know at some point in the hub they're hollow! Thanks for your answer though. I also sand the blade, but I've always sanded the back of the blade and then wiped thin CA on it after to seal it again.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:41 PM
ml3456

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Capt,

Why the front, not the back on a carbon prop?
Mark
Old 06-02-2003, 11:33 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Both sides of a prop are very important, but if you have to MAINTAIN the shape of either side, you want it to be the back side as that is the side doing most of the "WORK". A prop is an airfoil. The front side changes the efficiency of the backside.....in simple terms.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:46 AM
JBjr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

understandable now that i really think about it! thx Captain, I'll be sanding the front of the blade from now on.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can balance the hub of the prop, like you said, by drilling etc.

Another way as recommended by many people, is to glue a small piece of velcro to the lightest side (glue it on don't use the sticky stuff) then just keep adding CA to the velcro until it comes into balance.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:05 PM
lownslo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I need help understanding this "hub balance" thing.

I have a Top Flight magnetic balancer. I balance all my props, ranging from a 10-6 to 18-6. I have read a lot about the hub being out of balance as in jamesbissonjr's thread.
The problem Captain is that the extra weight isn't in a blade, it's in the center hub!
I hope I don't embarrass myself too bad by asking this....... How can you tell WHICH ONE is out of balance??? (Blade, hub, or both?). All I know how to do is just add, or subtract weight from the blades, so neither will drop when left in the horizontal position. Thanks in advance...... lownslo........Bob
Old 06-03-2003, 02:26 PM
JBjr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lownslo,

Your prop should turn freely on the balancer without seeing any pendulum action. (in other words it shouldn't bounce back to a single point all the time) My carbon fiber prop was always "dropping" to the same side. The heavy side will always drop to 6 o'clock. I've got a Forte wooden prop and one blade would always drop to about 7-8 o'clock, meaning that the extra weight wasn't in the blade but slightly off center in the hub.

The carbon fiber Mejzlik sits straight across at 9 and 3 o'clock. That wouldn' be a bad thing if it sat like that for both top and bottom of the hub, but the same side of the hub always falls to 6 o'clock telling me that it is the heavy side. Being a little off balance in the hub isn't too bad because the weight is closer to the center of your radius, but my prop "drops" pretty fast to that side of the hub so it will need some drilling for sure.