Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Zenoah G26/Choke

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Zenoah G26/Choke

Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 PM
aframe2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G26/Choke

I am using a G-26 Zenoah in my Pacific Aeromodel Gee Bee 1.20 y. This is my first gas engine and am wondering how critical it is to have access to the choke, for starting the engine. If I need to access the choke with the cowl on I would like some solutions on how to accomplish this. Can I mount a servo on the firewall next to the engine and not experience radio interference, or do I just put another hole in the cowl to access the choke? Thanks for your input. Aframe2
Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah G26/Choke

you need to be able to choke the engine one way or the other

Don't be putting a servo under the cowl. Use linkage and have the servo in the radio area.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The choke on my G-26 was useless until I soldered up the hole in the plate. With the engine mounted in the Waco, I can reach inside the cowl and flip the choke on and off. I added a steering arm to the shaft to make the choke useable.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 AM
camdyson

Yeah, I cover the little hole in the choke butterfly too - sucks/primes way better.

You'll need to choke for sure - follow the instructions to the letter, particularly the magnet position if not the EI version (you'll flip all day without luck if your prop position's wrong) - and then they're great. Very reliable, run forever.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:15 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I added a servo controlled choke for mine by removing the choke arm and putting a nosewheel steering arm on the choke shaft. This not only gives me an easy way to choke but an emergency shut off for the engine.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
goldston

I recently got a Zenoah 20ei which is my first gasser. I would like to ask help on how to setup the fuel lines in the tank. I am used to the nitro setup but incredibly clueless about gas. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM
w8ye

The engine has a pump and a regulator built into the carb.

You must use Tygon fuel line. One line to to the clunk connection on the tank to the carburetor. The other line from tank goes from the top inside of the tank to the atmosphere outside,
Old 12-01-2008, 08:06 PM
goldston

Thank you very much for the info. Do I need a one way valve leading to the tank for the top side atmosphere line? I am just worried about fuel spilling during inverted flight.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
w8ye

It will not spill if it goes to the top of the tank when the engine nis not running

You do not need a check valve
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
jetmech05

run the line from the tank to the carb with a tee in it to a fuel dot...no you won't flood the engine when you fuel up.... remember to bend the vent tube inside the tank up.. just like a glow system.. now the vent line... out of the tank run the line under the tank or on top for the length of the tank.... then loop it forward again then out the bottom of the airplane...If you do put a check valve anywhere you want to check the vent line so that pressure and fuel can get out of the vent...the check valve keeps dirt from going up the vent to the tank.....you won't loose fuel in inverted flight ..ok ok you might loose a drop or 2
Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Always solder that hole or the choke is almost usless. I set my Zens up with A rod on the choke and it comes out the side of the cowl through a rubber gromet. Just A hand operated push pull system. I have also set up my gassers with both the choke and throttle servo inside the cowl without any ill effects or RF. You do what you gotta do when you gotta do it. Most the time it works.