Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

tube bender

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:14 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tube bender

Who makes a tube bender for 3/4" pipe as used in a header, it needs to be able to make a tight bend.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tube bender

An old trick I read about in Hot Rod Magazine many years ago suggested filling the tubing with sand to prevent it from kinking. You could secure the sand in the tubing with 3/4" copper plumbing caps temporarily fastened to the ends of the pipe with two self tapping sheet metal screws. Application of heat (cherry red metal) with a propane torch would certainly help.

I bet it would work.

Bill
Old 12-01-2008, 04:31 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Yep, fill it with sand.

I got a brake line tubing bender from Napa but it keeps them at a pretty good radius.

What are you making?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

People in the HVAC industry might have a tubing bender for 3/4" pipe. 3/4" is a very common size for the refrigerant suction line on larger residential air conditioners. The tubing benders are used to bend soft refrigerant copper when routing the lines between the outdoor condensing unit and the house or indoor evaporative coil.

Sometimes they do put small wrinkles in the inside of a radius, but if you go slow and use the correct pressure in the correct spot it can be done without any wrinkles.

For an exhaust header, I'd probably fill it with sand just in case. Cap one end. Solder the cap on. It's got to be secure. Fill the pipe with sand. Add WATER to the sand and tap the pipe on the side. The sand will settle. Add more sand. Add more water. Tap Tap Tap. When it's stuffed to the top and all the sand is packed in, you need to solder a cap on the end. If you don't TRAP the sand and pack it in there very tightly, the tube can still bend. Might as well not even bother with the sand if you're not going to pack it in there tight and put caps on the end to keep it contained.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:50 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want a professional means of bending, 3/4" or 5/8" probably stainless steel to make headers for exhaust systems. I already have $45,000.00 worth of hydr benders but they are for larger pipe and the radius is much to large, the dies made for our benders are not small enough. I was going to produce cans, headers, tunned pipes, etc.