Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

lean

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Avistar23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lean

i know this is dumb... the truth is i dont normally set my needle valve i ask some one to do it for me (God only knows why).... all i want to know is how to set the needle valve and know if my engine is rich or lean...
Old 06-02-2003, 01:16 AM
mikehannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lean

Hi there
A simple test that works well for me is too quickly pinch the fuel line on your engine while it is running at full throttle.
If you hear a rise in engine RPM it is still on the rich side. Continue doing this( a few clicks at a time) until you no longer hear a rise and then back the needle off about half a turn.
Recheck to make sure you are getting a rise in RPM after final adjustment and go fly.
You may also want to double check by holding the plane vertically while at full throttle.
If the engine quits or sags you are also running lean.

Hope this helps

Mike
Old 06-02-2003, 11:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default lean

Turn the needle valve in, If the engine starts to die, it is too lean.

Now turn it out until it starts to get a little sloppy (rich).

Now turn it back in and listen to the RPM. It will peak, and as you continue to turn, it will go lean again. back it off to where it had first peaked. Then with someone holding the Tx, and engine at full throttle, hold the plane nose up (straight up), and see if it leans out. If it does, richen it some more, if it doesn't, go flying!