Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

AMA numbers on aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

AMA numbers on aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA numbers on aircraft

My club had our Dec meeting yesterday...the subject of AMA numbers on aircraft came up in a notice from the AMA....plus there was a post a week or so ago about this very subject somewhere...
Item 6 of the AMA safety code states " I will not fly my model aircraft unless it is identified with my name and address, or AMA number, inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. This does not apply to model aircraft flown indoors."
we were told that the AMA will not cover you in the event of an accident if this rule is ignored....
Whether you wish to believe it or not..agree or not ...Any second rate lawyer could get you insurance tossed out on the basis of not following the safety code....my wish here is to inform
Good flyin to ya all
Old 12-08-2008, 07:59 AM
mclina

Default RE: AMA numbers on aircraft

Buy 10 of these for $1.25 and put one in each of your planes. OK, maybe buy 2 packs.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/shopama...A072C3338CDC23
Old 12-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen two flyaways returned months later, because the owner's address label was on the outside.

For those who aren't familiar with address labels, back before Email, we used a quaint service called the US Post Office. The sender would put his own address in the top left corner. Vendors sold preprinted stick-on labels for that purpose.

Those preprinted labels are still available, and you can probably find an inconspicuous place to put them.

Dave Olson
Old 12-08-2008, 08:18 AM
mclina

ORIGINAL: Scar

I've seen two flyaways returned months later, because the owner's address label was on the outside.

For those who aren't familiar with address labels, back before Email, we used a quaint service called the US Post Office. The sender would put his own address in the top left corner. Vendors sold preprinted stick-on labels for that purpose.

Those preprinted labels are still available, and you can probably find an inconspicuous place to put them.

Dave Olson
How many airplanes CAN a pony carry?

I always wondered whether a non-hobbyist would ever bother to remove the wing from a plane and look inside for my AMA sticker.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:28 AM
dignlivn

I use the Name and Address Stickers I get from the VFW.
I place it inside the fuse on my planes.

Bob
Old 12-08-2008, 09:20 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Same here Bob, VFW loves to send out address stickers

Although I haven't seen any in a while...
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 AM
dignlivn

Dave,

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any lately ?
I did get my 09 Calander.

Bob
Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Live Wire

Make your own lables on you computer and print them
Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All my aircraft have my name, address, phone and AMA number. However, I really question whether the AMA insurance provider could deny insurance for the sole reason of not properly labeling your aircraft. I don't think that would stand up in court.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM
carrellh

I have purchased AMA numbers, and other graphics from Bill Fulmer http://www.customcutgrafix.com

============================
Copied from Bill's site:
General Rule #6 of the AMA SAFETY CODE states, in part, "I will not fly my model unless it is identified with my name and address or AMA number, on or in the model." The validity of your AMA insurance may be at risk if General Rule #6 is not adhered to... Placing your AMA number on your airplane meets this important safety requirement.

It is NOT necessary that you preface your AMA number with "AMA". Rather, you may use the number alone, or with any combination of your choice of letters as long as the NUMBER is complete. Also, "Celebrity" numbers are available from the AMA..

To assist you in easily complying with AMA General Rule #6, I offer (10) 3/4" or 1" Names OR AMA Numbers (or a combination therof) in the single font and color of your choice for $12.00. (Metallic Gold or Silver $2.00 additional).

This offer is quite flexible and if you have a special requirement, email me and we can work out the details.
============================

Prior to finding Bill's link on Bruce Tharpe's site I had some AMA numbers cut at the local "Fast Signs" store and they charged about 50 cents per letter or number.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Tall Paul

Monokote covering or Monokote Trim can be cut out.. when you want a large one...
Or, quick and easy, Magic Marker..
and Trim, with a MM surround..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74519.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1086253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60660.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1086254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52611.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1086255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69496.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1086256  
Old 12-08-2008, 02:35 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While in kit form I usually use a fine tip sharpie to put the info somewhere inside the plane. Usually in the radio bay and on the inside of the wing skin...when they aren't foam of course.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Dzlstunter

Years ago, I ordered a roll of clear return labels and instead of the usual address, I had my name, AMA number and phone number put on them. I stick a couple of them in obvious spots and at my age, I should never run out! Dzl
Old 12-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just glue in the address sticker off of my Model Aviation I get every month, it has all your information and it's free, I always like free!!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
jetmech05

I am into scale some what....I've been going to sign companies, having my AMA number cut out of vinyl...they can pretty much match colors...and putting it on my hor stab or fuse and even though full scale doesn't require it any longer on the right wing..looks good and satisfies rule 6
Old 12-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Azcat59

As noted, the VFW, Disable American Veterans, Paralyzed American Vets, and a bunch of other charities will inundate you with address labels if you ever send them a small donation. And you can put the label someplace in the wing saddle area.

Many times however, I just use a fine tip Sharpie and write AMA 15654 on the rear wing bolt hold-down block, or the bulkhead at the leading edge. I don't worry about somebody finding a fly-away, the type of planes I fly are not apt to end up in one piece if the radio locks up and they fly away anyway.

Sometimes I cut the numbers from Monokote and put them on the wing if I feel I need to enhance the looks of the plane.

I do think it is wise to follow the AMA rule here, rather than risk any challenge to your insurance in case of a problem.

Clair
Old 12-09-2008, 10:23 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)