Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Diesel engine or conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Diesel engine or conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 03:13 AM
Got-to-fly
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel engine or conversion

Will the converted 2-stroke engines hold up to diesel conversion or is it better to spend the extra money with Dr. Diesel? I need a diesel to replace a .15 size engine and also was thinking about converting an .049. Thanks...
Old 06-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Steve Lewin

I've heard good things of the larger glow to diesel conversions, .40 and up, but I've only ever used "real" diesels myself. In the sizes you're talking about it's difficult to beat a PAW. Eric (Dr Diesel) will sort you out.

The stresses imposed on a diesel are quite different from a glow engine. I wouldn't personally trust a conversion, especially not of a small and already highly stressed motor like an .049.

As a matter of interest why do you "need" a diesel ? I thought they'd fallen completely out of popularity over your way though there are still plenty flying here in the UK.

Steve
Old 06-01-2003, 12:21 PM
tag-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Never had one myself but from what I've seen (and heard) the cranks in the converted glow engines won't take the abuse. There's a fellow in our club that has gone through several cranks trying to get one to work.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Dzlstunter

PAW makes some nice small diesels. My 09 Texaco runs like a champ, and I've heard great things about the 1/2 engines. Good luck, Dzl
Old 06-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the bottom of the crankcase split front to back with a diesel conversion on a Royal 40. Never again.