Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Starting Engine & Propeller Spinners?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Starting Engine & Propeller Spinners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 01:14 AM
Fezz-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Engine & Propeller Spinners?

Hi,

Great site! Am new to power (have been flying sailplanes/slope soaring for 20 years). Got my son a Hobbico Superstar for B-day and am having problems getting the O.S. 40 LA to start up. When we first fired it up, it turned over on the second flip. We have broken it in with two tanks running "rich". However, when I shut her down and then try to start her up again, it is many flips etc. before I get her to start. I try to start without priming and when it doesn't start, I go ahead and prime it but it is still a long task to get her to go. Sometimes the engine will turn for a second but it then will sputter. It almosts seems like it is building too much compression or something as it will stop in the middle of a stroke and be stuck while fully compressed. I'm using a saftey stick and the glow plug is glowing fine. Any ideas?

Also, I didn't realize that you were supposed to use "loc tite" on the prop nut so in the course of trying to start the engine, I had the "spinner" loosen up 3 times. I think it is now stripped (the little ridges on the back are gone). What is the purpose of the "spinner". Know this might be a stupid question. Can I just mount the wooden prop right onto the prop shaft?

Thanks for any help.

Fezz
Old 06-02-2003, 01:43 AM
iflircaircraft

Spinners are more aesthetic than functional, especially since you are hand starting. You can mount the prop directly onto the prop shaft. You shouldn't need loc tite.
If you do install a new spinner, make sure it doesn't touch the prop (you may have to open the area around the prop with a dremel).
A new engine will be a bit harder to start than a broken in engine.

Tom
Old 06-03-2003, 05:28 AM
f2titan

Try a new glow plug too. Mine wasn't very good after break-in.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:33 PM
iflircaircraft

Fezz:
One thing I forgot to mention in my reply was to make sure the prop is tight. Wooden props, especially, have a tendency to come loose.
Humidity effects them more than a composite or plastic prop. It's
always a good idea to check the tightness of a wooden prop prior to running. This may be the reason the spinner ridges wore off.
Hope this helps.
As far as the glow plug, change it.......As f2titan suggested, It's better than fighting variables...at least if you change the plug, you eliminate one variable.

Tom
Old 06-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Capt Don

Hi Fezz,

I've just been through almost the exact same scenario with my Superstar 40.
Relative to starting, it isn't easy. My best luck is to prime it only until gas reaches the carburetor, then put 2 or 3 droplets of fuel directly into the carb. It seems to flood easily if one rotates the prop 1 or 2 too many times.

I had the same problem with the spinner, too. I use an electric starter. I switched to an aluminum spinner and now all is OK. But don't use a CB Associates spinner--it loosens up too easily with an electric starter. Buy one that has the spinner keyed into the back plate and that has serrations on the back of the back plate to engage the engine nut.

I'm a rank beginner so these tribulations have been a good learning experience.

I also installed an on-board igniter battery with shut off switch wired to the glow plug to avoid getting thrashed by the prop.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:16 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Fezz,
Didn't you already post this question and get quite a few responses?
Old 06-08-2003, 01:35 AM
Fezz-RCU

Yeah DB Cherry...

I did and I got twice the responses

Fezz