Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Don't ya just love it when - -

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Don't ya just love it when - -

Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
mikegordon10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't ya just love it when - -

Someone comes on line looking for a solution to their problems then complains when it's not cheep or free. A solution is a solution and they all can't be free. Only "walk on water" Barry want's to spread the wealth around!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:30 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Don't ya just love it when - -

You can do it two ways. Cheap is not really easy and easy is not really cheap..

I want a custom built ready to fly scale, fully detailed WWII warbird. I want to spend $99.99 for a 1/3 scale.

Sounds like you are talking about my brother in law. He wants to turn his 60 sized plane into an electric plane. I showed him what it will take. He got all upset that it was going to cost over $100.00 for the battery charger. He wants to use the charger that came with his ready to fly 36 inch 3 channel plane. He also wanted to use the same battery pack.

Some people are that way. Give them a million dollars and they will complain they have to pay taxes.

Dru.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:53 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheaper, better, faster! Pick any two.
Edwin
Old 12-23-2008, 08:35 AM
kid chuckles

Well a ONE Millionaire is no longer a Millionaire after Taxes. I would be upset too. I want a 50CC Shouki(sp) 110" for 50.00 nothing wrong with wanting it. Getting one for that may prove difficult but still would take 3. Cheap is as Cheap does my mama always said.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:32 PM
jetmech05

I like the ones that come on here with their minds already made up..ask a question..(actually looking for support for a bad idea),,and then we're all a bunch of stuff shirts when they don't get the support they were looking for....gotta love it
Old 12-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

So true jetmech05. I think the best was "I can fly a firebird. Which warbird should I get next". Never heard back from that guy.
Edwin
Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked the one where the person didn't like the instructor taking the plane away from them all the time when they were maybe in trouble. Did they REALLY have any idea how far they could go before the instructor didn't have a chance to recover their screw up ???
But then I could go on and on about my favorites. ENOUGH !!! ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Stick 40

well, generaly cheap is not the best solution to any problem. I find that I am never happy with cheaper, and very happy with the better or best of anything....

Good luck with cheap, we get what we pay for.

may the Sticks be with you !!!!!!
Old 12-24-2008, 02:11 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

Someone comes on line looking for a solution to their problems then complains when it's not cheep or free. A solution is a solution and they all can't be free. Only "walk on water" Barry want's to spread the wealth around!
Something worth sharing must have inspired this .... do tell the story.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:56 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Everybody wants cheap and good. It's just that most of us understand that they don't come together.

After my first big crash due to a radio failure, one of the more outspoken guys at the club (borderline rude) told me, "Don't try to save money in this hobby."

He was right.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:04 AM
The Ghost

Like when you give an anwser to their question with parts from one supplier and then they say No Thanks, I want something from another supplier.

Cheers
Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Just wait until Wally World puts in a hobby shop. A giant scale in every garage!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:15 AM
mikegordon10

The answer for chashint;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8270465/tm.htm
Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Try this one. A first GS plane. Asked about servos. When told what he will need goes into a panic over price and whats to uses cheaper ones. I've seen a few planes go in because of it. Dennis
Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

You guys are all correct in your theory about how good cheap is in this adventure. Cheap will loose you a plane real quick, but I too posted a question on here when I first started flying and got some good answers that I never would have seen if I hadn't have taken the time to pick them out of the wise cracks that were thrown at me by all the "gifted" pilots out there.

Know what I love most? I love it when there is a newer flyer asking a question, and someone gives them sound, reasonable advise without a bunch of childlike sarcastic comments.

Sometimes we all need to make the effort to realize that OP just might not be as sharp as the rest of the crayons........or just new and not privey to having all the experience and fun of dispensing with all thier hard earned income as fast as this hobby/sport can demand.

Just my thoughts.............fire away!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Jester241

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

You guys are all correct in your theory about how good cheap is in this adventure. Cheap will loose you a plane real quick, but I too posted a question on here when I first started flying and got some good answers that I never would have seen if I hadn't have taken the time to pick them out of the wise cracks that were thrown at me by all the "gifted" pilots out there.

Know what I love most? I love it when there is a newer flyer asking a question, and someone gives them sound, reasonable advise without a bunch of childlike sarcastic comments.

Sometimes we all need to make the effort to realize that OP just might not be as sharp as the rest of the crayons........or just new and not privey to having all the experience and fun of dispensing with all thier hard earned income as fast as this hobby/sport can demand.

Just my thoughts.............fire away!

You know I just gotta chime in here just because......When I first started this hobby I almost said screw it because I got online(different forum) and started asking virgin newb questions and was treated like a totally idiot. Kinda the way I'm hearing this thread going. Luckily I found a club which I didnt think existed around here that showed me the way. I never read that other forum again. Those other guys were totally right,but the way the came across just made me want away from this hobby. Its hard to justify spending extra money when your on a limited budget for better equipment that claims to do the same thing........I also understand how difficult it is to get this across to newbs who have no idea what their getting into with this hobby(I sure didnt). I dont know what the best way to talk to these newbs is,but I know its not treating them like idiots because of there lack of experience. If it wouldnt have been for my flying club I luckily found I would have probably went out on my own just to spite those forum guys,which is I'm sure what alot of newbs do...and that would have been the end of the hobby for me. At least if you treat them with respect they'll come back after learning from their mistakes. Its just human nature that everyone wants cheaper quicker.....I'm still like that! And I'll also point out that when you ask most of these guys that dont understand why people dont listen about their first experiences........they'll say they learned the hard way . Makes you wonder huh? Now be nice to the newbs!!!!!!

ok,I'm done now too,lol. Have a nice day!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

You make some good points to consider. I know I have been in the hobby for most of my life and have gone through the know it all sarcastic folks that just in general made life in the hobby mostly unpleasant. But just remember the majority are great folks, willing to help and love to share their hard earned information and tallents. I agree that we as "experienced and seasoned veterans" of this hobby need to listen to how our comments sound to someone just starting out. I can see where we need to become more user friendly for lack of a better term. Most of the joy in this hobby is sharing and meeting new friends.

I think sometimes it is just a case of frustration with comments that should not be made. I know I have bought less expensive hobby items or in some cases just cheap junk and paid the penalty for doing so. I wonder how many have learned this lesson the hard way, after being cautioned by someone else that has "been there and done that"!

I feel for the retailers that supply use with our hobby needs. God bless em! They fight to survive off slim profits and stiff competitiion. Then watch as someone builds a giant scale and install less costly servos that the experienced flier knows will not handle the job, or take other shortcuts that will result in an unsuccessful flying model. I quess we must each learn these lessons in our own way.

Great thread, great comments, great friends here. Thanks to all!

Blue skies
Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 AM
DadsToysBG

This is just a short vent. I love GS planes and try and promote them every chance I get. My shop is in the back of the store. When I build or repair anybody can watch. One person has spent a lot of time with me lately because he is doing his first GS. I've spent a lot of time on the computer showing him engines, radios servos and teaching him how to cover. Found out he is buying all his stuff off of the internet and not even giving me a chance at the business. When I asked why? he told me he didn't have to pay sales tax. O well back to working on my bib. Dennis
Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 AM
mikegordon10

In most cases Sales Tax and Shipping is a wash, or close to it anyway.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:33 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Dennis..........that would have to be VERY frustrating! I would consider that another form of inconsideration. If it was my store/shop, I would be rather distraught over it. Of course, the only thing you have as an option is to discontinue your friendly service. Something tells me that's not your style, but I'll bet it's crossed your mind more than once.

Me personally, I don't buy off the net. Not unless my LHS doesn't do business with the company and tells me that I would be just as well off to purchase that way to begin with. That has happened recently, but I still prefer to support my LHS and I'll buy from them so they are there next time I need his help. Both of us know that, and I can call on him for any reason. He is also the instructor I used from my club to teach me to fly. If nothing else, I feel I owe it to him and it's my way of showing my appreciation.

Matter of fact, he is also helping me build my first kit. I picked up an old Yoshioka Dash 5 that he had in his back room. Had to blow off about an inch of dust just to see the picture on the box! Haven't purchased the first part other than in his store. Wouldn't do it.

Good luck with your customers.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my business we do precision work in our customers homes. We have a rule that we always enforce.

You can have the job done 2 of these 3 ways:
1. Cheap
2. Quick
3. Good

If it's cheap and quick it won't be done well.
If it's Quick and done well, it won't be cheap.
If it's Cheap and done well it won't be quick.

We never deviate from this set of rules, and we are successful.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with most of what's been said here and when I see or hear the word CHEAP I allways think of this: I found CHEAPER gas over in the other town, it's 2 cents cheaper. ~~ Of course it's 20 miles over and 20 miles back and I only get 20 miles to the gallon so what's the CENTS ?? ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 AM
DadsToysBG

When new members comes in asking about radios, I always try and get him to buy the most they can afford. I hate it when I see new pilots buying a new radio every couple of years. Most of of the time I know what he can afford and show him several in his price range. I then let him go to the field and ask more questions. No matter what he decides I slap him on the back and tell him that's great. Dennis
Old 12-31-2008, 02:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's just bad economy to go for the cheapest route anyway. I work in a gun shop and we compete with internet warehouse outfits that can undercut us substantially. A few shoppers come in, fondle our merchandise, then tell us they are going to buy online. It always seems to be the dumbest and jerkiest guys who do that. Tells me something about the mentality.

The only way I'd go mail order over the LHS is if I knew the LHS was just acting as a middleman anyway and won't give me any more service than the mail order outfit.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:21 PM
carrellh

I guess this is off topic, but it follows the direction the thread has turned.

My brother started flying RC a year or two before I did. When he wanted his first computer radio, he did a lot of research on the web and that left him with a lot of questions. Even after downloading manuals he was not sure what some of the transmitters did or how the programming actually worked. We went to Mike's Hobby Shop and they had a great selection of Futaba, Hitec, and JR. I do not think they had any Airtronics but I'm not sure. One of the guys took the time to pull out at least a half dozen different radios and answered all of my brother's questions about setup and programming.

Mike's charges the same as mail order for Kits, ARFs, and most accessories. They have always been higher than mail order for engines and radio systems. Even though Tower would have been almost $40 less (on a $200 unit) when considering 'out the door' price, he bought from Mike's. When you utilize the expertise of the LHS, and handle the merchandise, it is only fair to spend your money with them.

If you know exactly what you want, and need no support, shopping for a good price makes sense. I've spent a pile of money online, but also have given a good share to several local shops.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.