Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Devcon Epoxy ... Help

Old 06-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Devcon Epoxy ... Help

Hey guys,
Last night I whipped up a batch of Devcon 30min Epoxy for my Sig Somethin extra and when I woke up this morning the mixing cup that I used still had some epoxy in it that wasn't hard... its still gooey (around 6pm). It's been around 21 hours and it isn't rockhard. It sounds like I didn't mix equal amounts, although I'm pretty darn sure that I did ... is that the case? This is the first time I've used Devcon epoxy, but what I hear from friends its really good. Is there anything I can do... add more hardener and try again or does it just take much longer to set?

Thanks for the help!

-Brian
Old 06-03-2003, 02:41 AM
Dsegal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try asking the company at http://www.devcon.com/contactus.cfm

Dave Segal
Old 06-03-2003, 02:59 AM
Someone11-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Dsegal
Try asking the company at http://www.devcon.com/contactus.cfm

Dave Segal
Thanks for the link. I've been looking at the devcon site earlier, but never pursued asking them. I just figured to ask here first, but since you just gave me the link I sent them the question... . Any other suggestions fellas?

-Brian
Old 06-03-2003, 09:28 AM
KJohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Devcon 30 minute epoxy

I have used it often. I mix equal amounts thoroughly (mix maybe for thirty to forty five seconds), apply the epoxy then walk away for eight hours to let it harden. It has always hardened for me.
I have also hit it with a heat gun to make it run like water and it still hardened in eight hours.

If you have any unused try a test by mixing equal parts of the epoxy and the hardner (or whatever mix is in the instructions) on wax paper and let it set for eight hours. If it sets hard then you mixed that batch well and it means the two items you mix are capable of hardening. If it remains soft then something is wrong with the product, mixing method, environment, etc.

Could it be that you have mixed equal parts of resin or equal parts of hardner? The product usually has different colors for the resin and the hardner. For me one part is a carmel color and the other is clear.

I have used it on a fiberglass/epoxy sailplane fuselage to fill pinholes and fiberglass joints and it sanded like the surrounding epoxy which was really nice.

I also use the five minute version from Devcon and it works fine for me.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:05 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd suggest that you not mix epoxy on wax paper or in waxed cups. The wax can get into the epoxy preventing it from hardening. Use glass, the little plastic medicine cups you can buy at your LHS, or the plastic cover from a coffee can.

RCPAUL
Old 06-03-2003, 10:19 PM
Someone11-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hmm I don't know guys... the small plastic cup I had used still has a taffy like consistency. It's been 2 days. Should I just take out the 1/8" wire I tried to glue into the elevator and re-glue it again. I probably didn't mix them in equal amounts... I do have two different bottles. One is the hardener and other cyrstal clear bottle that are different colors.

-Brian
Old 06-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Someone11-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This time when I mixed it the mixture turned white. I believe I did it right this time because last time it was clear. Maybe I didn't stir enough last time huh?

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys!

-Brian