Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Stab installation on my new ARF....

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Stab installation on my new ARF....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 08:55 AM
tmenold
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stab installation on my new ARF....

I recently purchased a Great Planes Little Toni ARF and have now started my winter project (building it). I am to the point of installing my stab and there is a slot in the fuselage where you are supposed to slide the stab through, measure it so it's even with the wing tips, trim of the covering of the stab in the center to get a good bond with the fuse, and then glue it. The directions say to wick thin CA into the tiny (NOT) joint b/w the stab and fuse all the way around and on both sides. This not so tiny joint has gaps at least 1/16" to slightly bigger most of the way around the stab and on both sides. I even flipped it over wondering if that would make a difference, which it didn't. What is the best way to glue this and get a good bond? I thought of putting the stab in and tapeing off the fuse and stab very close to the joint and then using a Q-Tip, or something like that, push some 30 minute epoxy into the joint. Has anyone tried this or will I create a huge mess? I have some medium CA that I could possibly use also if that would be better than epoxy. I'd possibly try thick CA but I don't have any and my LHS is over an hour away. Any bits of advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Trent
Old 12-25-2008, 10:03 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Stab installation on my new ARF....

I think you can do the epoxy glue if you keep a rag and something to wipe off the excess glue, I have used rubbing alcohol that I had laying around . The main key is to test what ever cleaner you pick, somewhere not so noticeable.

However, you might want to try something like this..Get your stab slid in, measured... marked ..cut away for the gluing area, then get some 1/16/or 1/32 balsa sheet which ever will work best, and glue it on to the stabilizer..reposition it, now hopefully you can use your super glue as per instructions...
Old 12-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Ram Jet

foodstick has the right idea. You'll probably need to cover the gap with a strip of covering film. You might try the epoxy like this. Get a plastic sandwich bag and cut off the zip lock strip. Squirt equal parts of your epoxy into one corner. Twist up the corner with your thumb and index finger and knead the epoxy with your fingers until you feel it getting slightly warm. Cut an ever so slight corner off the tip of the bag. Keep the cut really small and now you have a neat applicatior. Run the cut tip along the gap between the stab and fuselage on both sides of the stab. If you are neat about this you will wind up with a neat and smooth fillet when the epoxy sets which you should be able to hide with a few strokes of matching paint. Get on the application of the epoxy quickly so that it's thin and will flow easily into the joint - go slow durnig the application allowing the epoxy to settle to the bottom of your joint. Reapply if your fillet falls inward. If you are neat and careful you won't have any clean up to do. This method works for me every time.

Bill
Old 12-25-2008, 12:24 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have said.. use epoxy. You can also mix it with microballoons to make a thick past for filling bigger gaps. About the gap though, is the stab really loose in the opening? Does it sort of flop around in there? If so, that's not good and even filling the gap with glue may not be the best idea. It could be though that you just see a gap on the exterior but you have good contact deeper inside which will be fine.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:54 PM
tmenold
My Feedback: (17)

The stab is snug front and back and not really loose and does actually touch the fuse on top and bottom a few spots. I would say that 60-70% of the distance around the stab is 1/16" or more of a gap. I like the idea about epoxy and a plastic bag procedure. Thanks so far for your guy's ideas!

Trent
Old 12-25-2008, 02:48 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I use thin and medium "Flash" Ca glue to glue my stabs in place...and "kicker" of course! You can build up a surface with medium Ca and kicker!