Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Do you usually have to share the sky?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
We just wait till its our turn each time
13.58%
We usually have a couple at once
18.52%
Several planes at once
35.80%
Half the time your alone,half the time your not
32.10%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Do you usually have to share the sky?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Jester241

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you usually have to share the sky?

On the average weekend fly day when the average number of guys are there....do you usually have the sky to yourself while the other wait their turn,or do you share the sky so everyone has flying time? This is just an average of what you can expect on a normal day.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Do you usually have to share the sky?

We limit the number of things in the air to 6. Saturday and club night are the busiest. Sunday not so bad.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was in Calif. the main club I flew at we waited and took turns for the most part. There were pilots I flew with and we were all OK flying with each other and we could have a few planes in the air at one time, that was OK. Today the fields I fly at no one waits for anything, even if you are doing a maiden. The sky can get crowded in a hurry. I land and wait for things to calm down then go up. I'm not in any hurry. There are a few guys here I share the sky with and am OK with it too, just not that many.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Jester241

Man,its good a fly at a low key field with only a few of us because I cant stand flying with anyone else. We dont even like starting engines too much while someone is flying. I'm sure I could get used to it,but I like our little field just the way it is. I always see some of you guys pics of your flying field and dream about having a field that wide open and nice and how easy it would be to land and stuff(our field is surrounded my trees)....but then I also see all the vehicles and plane tables and realize as nice as the field is,I would hate the all the people.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Live Wire

Depending on how many show up If we have an event? as many as 6
Old 12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never a problem for me... whenever I fire my engine up, everyone lands.

Seriously though, it just depends. Some days it seems like everyone in the club shows up and other days it can be a ghost town. It isn't uncommon to have several planes in the air at once. Sometimes I mind but often I don't. It really boils down to who is in the air with me. Some people have no consideration for others and fly all over the place so it is hard to judge where they will be next. Other people are courteous, stick to some sort of predictable pattern and announce their intentions when they feel it is necessary. There are also others who I worry will fly into me (or hopefully the barrier) on landing approaches and take-off's. When I have to be concerned about that sort of thing it is time to land and go have a soda in the pits.

One thing that I think is really rude is when a first time flyer is on the buddy box or something and someone will start doing all sorts of crazy stuff over the runway and be all over the sky. I know new pilots need to earn to deal with it but I'm sure it gets nerve racking.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Don41

ORIGINAL: Jester241

Man,its good a fly at a low key field with only a few of us because I cant stand flying with anyone else. We dont even like starting engines too much while someone is flying. I'm sure I could get used to it,but I like our little field just the way it is. I always see some of you guys pics of your flying field and dream about having a field that wide open and nice and how easy it would be to land and stuff(our field is surrounded my trees)....but then I also see all the vehicles and plane tables and realize as nice as the field is,I would hate the all the people.
Fortunately, Nevada is one of those states that has yet to become crowded. My brother and I are lucky enough to have a dry lake within 7 or 8 miles of his house and we are the only ones flying there. Only one at a time in the air,,, the other offers well accepted advice (:-).

Regards
Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

On a busy day at our field, we might have 10 flyers. Normally its 3-4 people, and we fly when we want to. If someone is in the air, I always ask if they mind if I go up with them before I start my engine.

Brad
Old 12-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Yeah I find it amazing- I can fly with 5 other guys in the air (6 total) and it seems like there's plenty of room, yet sometimes there are only two or three of us and I can't seem to stay away from other planes.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:16 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Jester241
On the average weekend fly day when the average number of guys are there....do you usually have the sky to yourself while the other wait their turn,or do you share the sky so everyone has flying time? This is just an average of what you can expect on a normal day.
Our club has a limit of 4 in the air at once. Not sure if that qualifies as "several." It's pretty common for us to have 2 or 3 flying at once and not uncommon to have 4. We only have 40 to 50 members and having over 10 at the field is a big day. If everyone flew alone, even with 10 pilots, there would not be a lot of flying going on.

Some people probably do not like flying when I fly. And, when certain people are flying I wait until they land; or I land if they take off. We do not have any pilots that I consider dangerous, and I do not think I'm dangerous. But, certain flying styles make me nervous if I am standing in a pilot box.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
We fly when ever we want to, no regulation of how many in the air at one time! Most of the time (Saturdays and Sundays) there might be a few persons flying.
A few years ago we set a record with 18 planes in the air at the same time.
Heli flyers though, seems to like it best when the fly one at a time...!!???
Being a pylon racer myself I have nothing against flying with lots of planes in the air at the same time. Guess I have learned "split vision" during all my racing years

Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 AM
flyfish28

I'm probably wrong but did'nt I read somewhere that an AMA field only allows 5 planes in the air at one time????
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 AM
jetmech05

we are limited to 4 fixed wing on the north south runway and 2 heli on the east west runways....you must fly the pattern..any 3D stuff is done between the runway and the downwind leg.....
Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: flyfish28
I'm probably wrong but didn't I read somewhere that an AMA field only allows 5 planes in the air at one time????
It is not in the AMA safety code or in the recommendations for flying sites. As far as I can tell, any limits are specific to the club or property owner.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 AM
flyfish28

Thanks. I probably read it in our club rules!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 AM
TakingFlight96

I went with half the time alone, half the time I'm not. I mean it all depends, if somebodys maidening a plane then the skys open to just them. Same thing with training, if somebodys on a buddy box, the sky is all theirs. Now, half of the time you get the sky to yourself , but occasionally you'll have 2 planes up. On a rare occasion will you see 3 or more up.

TF96