Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

vertical stabilizer repair

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

vertical stabilizer repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 PM
tylerwp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vertical stabilizer repair

I finished building my fist balsa ARF plane the e-flite extra 260 and I missed an important step. aligning the vertical stabilizer.
Its off by about 1/4 inch to the right. got to excited I guess. any way, is there a something that dissolved the glue so I can pull it off and start over on the vertical stabilizer or any other words of wisdom on how to fix it?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: vertical stabilizer repair

If it's epoxy it's staying right where it is. You'll do more damage trying to remove it. I know heat softens epoxy, but you'll probably burn the covering and still wreck some wood trying to get it off.

I've done that on one of my first few models, and I was told to consider it a 'learning lesson' and to live with it, and that's exactly what I did.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:48 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you do anything, fly it or have an experienced flyer take the controls and see what he thinks. Flight may not be affected enough to really matter. If it turns out to be a problem though you can think about some sort of fix.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 PM
flaminheli

The only thing to consider is if it will have a hinge in the tail of the fuselage for the rudder or are all of the hinges in the stabilizer. If a hinge is in the lower part of the rudder and going into the aft section of the fuse you will have binding issues because the lower part of the rudder will naturally want to be off to the side at the bottom because the rudder follows the same line as the stabilizer. I think I confused myself with that explanation but I hope you understood it.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
tylerwp

Thanks for all the advice! I flew it this weekend. It flew well the only thing I noticed is when I do loops the plane twists slightly. not a big deal for me right now, I think I will just fly it til I break it.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Sounds like a good plan! Have fun with it, and you'll probably never do that again