Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

*newbie* Whats the difference between prop types

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

*newbie* Whats the difference between prop types

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 11:10 AM
99GrandTouring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *newbie* Whats the difference between prop types

I was just wondering you see alot of different prop types out there some say Sport, pattern, pylon, some have wide chords and extra wide chords but still have the same size/pitch rating?
Like a 10x6, a 10x6Wide chord, and a 10x6 Extra wide chord....

What is the differences between these props? I know the obvious like pattern is for pattern flying and pylon for pylon flying, but whats the nitty gritty/technical differences and why should you choose one prop over the other?

Also I know that a larger diameter prop with less pitch makes more thrust for example if I wanted more thrust/vertical performance on my stick I would remove the 10x6 and place a 11x5 on it.... also vice versa for speed I would put a 9x7 on it, but when should you increase/decrease pitch without changing diameter??
Would there be any benefit from going with a 10x7?? and how could I tell?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2003, 12:56 PM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *newbie* Whats the difference between prop types

Go experiment! On my Balsa USA Stick 40 (world's best trainer) I did the conventional thing - .40 engine equals a 10x6 prop. Huh...let's try a 10x7! It flew faster - but that wasn't the hot ticket with this plane. 10x5 flew slower, but the engine was a little harder to tweak. 11x5 - insta-takeoffs! 11x4 it would hover - for a while. This was a weak old Enya .40.

My Goldberg cub. Same thing .40 with a 10x6. I forget what the issue was, but I first went to a 11x5, then a 12x4! Flew magnificently. My brother flew his on a KB .61 with a 13x5.

Wide chord props, when looking from the front, are 'thicker'. In other words, the prop, while having the same diameter and pitch, have a bigger blade. They load the engine more. This is where you start getting tweaky. My old-timer (72" wingspan with a 4-stroke .21) was at its happies with an old Top Flite Super M prop - wide chord.