Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

buddy box question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

buddy box question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 01:46 AM
dinger2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buddy box question

I've got two Futaba 4VF boxes, same channel- is there any problem buddy boxing these together? I've heard a rumbling that the slave box shouldn't have a battery- true or false? Reason I ask is that the guys at the field seem to think that I should really use the trainer box they have available, and I'd really like to get used to the Tx I'll soon fly with-
Cheers,
Brett
Old 06-05-2003, 01:57 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe your Tx will work fine. Just be sure the slave is "Off". But if you have an instructor and he wants to use the clubs "Trainer Box", go with that.

The difference between your Tx's feel and the Buddy Box will be negligible, and it will keep your instructor happy.

Keeping your instructor happy should be your first priority, because without him your learning curve will be much longer.
Dennis-
Old 06-05-2003, 02:02 AM
Spaceclam

there really is a difference in feel. at least i noticed it when i went from the attack 4 buddy box to my futaba 6x. you might want to ask him why he wants you to use the buddy box. jsut take the crystal out on the buddy box. when i was a student i kept the battery in the buddy box just in case my tx battery died and i had to swap.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:08 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with DBCherry, what ever the instructor wants to use is the way you should go. He probably wants to use the club trainer box because he is sure it will work properly the first time out. When I train, my number on goal is to keep the student's plane out of the ground. I would go with what he feels comfortable with.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:07 AM
david a

The slave doesn't need a battery. I don't know why people at your club would grumble about using the same type radios to buddy-box with. There aren't any problems associated with it that I'm aware of and I've been doing it for some time now. I use two Hitec Lazer 4's for both master and slave without any problems.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:12 AM
dinger2

Hmmm...
At the field I'm at, my very nice instructors (and yes, they are VERY nice...) will use my box and connect it to the "trainer box", which is what I, and other trainees, use. In other words, instructors use the box you have, and you use the club's box. I'm wondering, since I have two identical 4VF boxes, same channel, can't I just plug them together? That way, it saves adjusting the trims every time the instructors change students, and I get to get used to the box I'll eventually fly with-
Also, since the boxes are the same channel, is it necessary to remove the crystal from the slave box?
Thanks and cheers,
Brett
Old 06-06-2003, 10:47 PM
Spaceclam

it is the same thing, it will work. maybe the instructor did not know that and wanted to fly with the better radio because he was responsible for your plane?
Old 06-07-2003, 01:31 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it's not necessary to remove the crystal on the "slave". Just make sure the power is turned off.

I don't know why they would prefer to use the club's trainer box either. There's no reason I'm aware of NOT to use your Tx's, but if they're uncomfortable with it, go along with their decision.

Just my opinion.
Dennis-
Old 06-07-2003, 02:24 AM
Spaceclam

i was trained on a futaba 6x while my instructor had a futaba skysport 4 because i would fly on the 6x, (soon to become an 8u) not a skysport 4