Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Explain Burnished/Artist Chalk Panel Line Method

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Explain Burnished/Artist Chalk Panel Line Method

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain Burnished/Artist Chalk Panel Line Method

I am trying to get more info on how to apply Panel Lines to a Monokote/Ultra Kote covered ARF; I read somewhere and it wasn't real clear; about Burnishing or would it be Scribing, the Panel Lines using a dull point of a rod, stick, etc; into the covered surface; then use, I'm guessing, Black Artist Chalk rubbed onto/into the now slightly recessed Panel Lines, not sure if I am correct up to this point, but after you apply the chalk, I would think some of the chalk would extend past the panel line, do you merely wipe the surface down, and the chalk would remain in the panel lines? what do you use if you have to wipe the suface down to remove the excess chalk without removing the chalk in the panel lines? and afterwards do you spray on some clear gloss or dull coat to seal the chalk in place?

Thanks, Doug.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Ram Jet

Default RE: Explain Burnished/Artist Chalk Panel Line Method

You need to go to the "Fine Scale Modeling" website and they probably have a good book on the application of chalk detailing on static plastic models. You would definitely have to seal the chalk with a clear coat. If I were to attempt your project I would simply use a very thin stiping tape in black or dark grey and seal it with a fuel proof clear coat for insurance. If you go scribing indentations in your aircraft I can see breaking through the covering material. If you must press on with the scribing idea I would recommend purchasing a 1.0mm, #12 steel crocheting needle which has a very fine, chromed and polished tip. Depending on the scale of your aircraft they sell larger needles. You'll find them at a local fabric and sewing supply store.

Good luck,

Bill
Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are using a dull tool to indent or "mash" a panel line into the Monocoat
Old 01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I got the part about indenting or mashing a panel line into the MonoKote using a dull point; its the rest I don't get for sure, the application of the black chalk, wiping the excess off if any and sealing the chalk.