Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying near twentynine palms ca?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Anyone flying near twentynine palms ca?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:48 PM
lflf
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone flying near twentynine palms ca?

Hi, I just wondered if there is a flying field or good place to fly nitro planes in the twentynine palms, joshua tree, wonder valley area? Thanks, Larry
Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Smacka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone flying near twentynine palms ca?

ORIGINAL: lflf

Hi, I just wondered if there is a flying field or good place to fly nitro planes in the twentynine palms, joshua tree, wonder valley area? Thanks, Larry

If you are anywhere close to El Mirage dry lake bed, you have miles of open flat land with which to fly That is where I used to fly when I lived in Southern Cali....
Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 AM
DwightMann

There is a dry lake off Hwy 62 towards J-Tree (south side). After the college and before the CHP station. Turn down the street with the animal hospital and small airport.
Nothing formal, not club or AMA requirements
Old 01-26-2009, 09:07 AM
CoosBayLumber

I am staying over in Banning/Beaumont area. It blows about 80% of the time here. I go to events west of you at Gillman Springs and San Timiteo Canyon.

The reason there is no organized club in MarineTown, is that it blows 98% of the time (which is why they got those windmills near Whitewater). The club blew away, same as the flying site, and they are out chasing it now.

Came upon a modeler who lived in Indio two years ago via here, he was about to move to Thermal (Ugh, where it is really hot).

Wm.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 AM
lflf

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it or any other that comes in. I have a "homestead cabin" (meaning shed or shack with no windows, doors, and a leaky roof) in Wonder Valley and I am looking to come down and do some flying from my place here in Salt Lake City. I did hear about the wind but didn't know it was that bad. I do prefer just a place to fly in the boonies but would like to meet some fellow flyers as its always more fun that way, not to mention safer.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM
KW_Counter

There is a very active club out of the Palm Desert area with a nice paved field in Indio.
Search AMA to find the specifics.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
DwightMann

I have been at Whitewater when the wind was blowing so strong that it was difficult just to stand up ( I think that it wouldn't be so bad if they would turn off those giant fans) . By the time that I got home in J-Tree the wind was dead calm, and vice versa. The mountains and deserts do strange things with the wind
Old 01-26-2009, 10:17 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At one time I did quite abit of flying from a small dry lake just one mile north of the Twentynine Palms Highway on lear Rd. This is in an area where there are a lot of homestad cabins, Lear Rd is six miles west of twentynine palms.

John
Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

By the way there is no major wind problem at 29 no more than any other desert area. Whitewater and the banning pass the area with all the windmills is two mountain ranges south west of 29 and has an entirely different micro climate. That at whitewater is caused by the biggest natural funnel in california known as the banning pass.

John
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Jaysen72

Hi, I'm about to get back into R/C planes again and am living on base in Twentynine Palms. I'd love to have some inspiration. I want to get a trainer to make sure I haven't lost my flying ability (been about 15 years since flying model planes). I also want to fulfill my dream of building a giant scale P-51, though I probably won't fly it any time soon.