Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

PULL-PULL control horn moving?(PHEONIX EXTRA 330S 60-90)

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

PULL-PULL control horn moving?(PHEONIX EXTRA 330S 60-90)

Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 PM
PMAXX
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PULL-PULL control horn moving?(PHEONIX EXTRA 330S 60-90)

Has anyone had a problem with the threaded rod staying square with the rudder? No matter how much I tighten the "cone" nuts the rod will move around without to much effort. I tried to scuff up the mating surfaces but that didn't help. I was thinking maybe a thin rubber washer might work. Any ideas or am I missing something. Thanks. Oh, I'm not using the stock setup because it is a "new improve" as they call it which does not conform to the airfoiled rudder. I'm using the du-bro heavy duty pull pull setup.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: PULL-PULL control horn moving?(PHEONIX EXTRA 330S 60-90)

It has been suggested to me by many to either drill a hole in the rudder and install a hardwood dowel for the pull-pull to go through, or to brace the rudder with pieces of light ply. Thanks for this post, I was going to cut a corner, but now I won't.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:51 AM
crossman

That was the thought I had as well. a Hard spot in the rudder to hold the control horn in place.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I build the plane from a kit or plans I install a hard point with either dowel or a ply block so I can tighten the rod in without squishing the balsa. On an ARF I sometimes cut it and do the same or if I take a short cut I make two over size squares out of 3/32 ply and place it on both sides of the rudder. In a pinch I have hardened around the screw hole with thin CA and gotten away with it but it's not the best fix. Balsa is very soft and it just can't hold the screw unless you harden that area.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 PM
PMAXX
My Feedback: (5)

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I installed a wooden dowel in the rudder and now it's as solid as a rock, no movement at all. Thanks for the help.