Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Primer for Fiberglass Cowl

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Primer for Fiberglass Cowl

Old 06-12-2003, 09:31 PM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primer for Fiberglass Cowl

Hi All,

Need to ask for opinions here. I purchased a glass cowl and pants from Stans FiberTech for my Extra 300s. My situation is I also purchased a can of auto primer from Napa Auto Parts and unsure if it is ok to use on glass. It is Dupli - Color Gray Primer called Engine Enamel with Ceramic. It is heat tested and fuel proof.

With the Info I have given above do you think it would be safe for the Fiberglass?

There is no suggested uses on the can except metal objects, but the guy there said it is heat tested and definitely fuel proof and should be ok for Fiberglass.

Thanks for your opinions much in advance.

Old 06-13-2003, 01:47 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt much of any paint would attack fiberglass. None that I've ever heard of anyway.

No guarantees though.
Dennis-
Old 06-13-2003, 01:58 AM
Chipmunkace

Auto primer is just fine for fiber glass.
befor use wipe coul with asetone to remove
anny wax from new coul.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:09 PM
RSprinkel

Originally posted by DBCherry
I doubt much of any paint would attack fiberglass. None that I've ever heard of anyway.

No guarantees though.
Dennis-
Dennis,

Thanks for your response.

Not so worried about it attacking, just wondering about the weight as it does have some ceramic in the paint and didn't really want to add much weight to the nose. Also want to sand the primer down with 600 grit sandpaper before applying my Rustoleum paint. I have the cowl and paints fully sanded smooth and no gloss to it. So before I used this paint I just wanted to make sure it would be ok and/or if anyone else has used this brand before.

Chipmunkace - Thanks for your response as well. Already taken care of.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:55 PM
Azcat59

Your primer won't hurt the glass, but it might not get along with the Rustoleum. Why not use the gray (or white) Rustoleum primer and be safe? I have used it quite a bit since K&B is no longer available, and it works fine.

Clair
Old 06-14-2003, 02:52 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, that wasn't clear from your post.

I don't think the ceramic component would be an issue. It almost has to be reasonably sandable, and I doubt that you could cover the cowl heavily enough to add substantial weight.

Rereading your post I'd also suggest that you test the primer on something first to make sure it really is fuel proof. Does this guy know you were talking about fuel containing Nitromethane?
Dennis-
Old 06-14-2003, 11:48 AM
ml3456

Might be hard to sand off with the ceramic in it though!

Always use auto primer. Its pretty cheap.

Mark
Old 06-14-2003, 12:25 PM
RSprinkel

Originally posted by DBCherry
Sorry, that wasn't clear from your post.

I don't think the ceramic component would be an issue. It almost has to be reasonably sandable, and I doubt that you could cover the cowl heavily enough to add substantial weight.

Rereading your post I'd also suggest that you test the primer on something first to make sure it really is fuel proof. Does this guy know you were talking about fuel containing Nitromethane?
Dennis-

I didn't think it would be a problem but just wanted to make sure as this is the first plane I have to use a cowl and pants and have to paint. I was also kinda concerned about the sanding part as well.

When I went to buy this primer I explained to him what it was going to be used for and told him the fuel did contain Nitromethane and he kinda looked at me stupidly and said ohh yes it will be ok. So from his face expressions and such I decided well I better post for some help here on this. I also contacted Dupli-Color via email and got a dumb A** auto generated email saying someone would contact me within 24 - 48 hours. Well no word yet.

So needless to say I went and bought some Rustoleum primer and don't have to worry about any issues as alot of others have recommended this.

Again, I thank you for your responses.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:27 PM
RSprinkel

Originally posted by ml3456
Might be hard to sand off with the ceramic in it though!

Always use auto primer. Its pretty cheap.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your repsonse. Yeah I kinda questioned that, so I went and bought some Rustoleum primer. No worries now.

Again Thanks,