Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Where to get Magnets

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Where to get Magnets

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 AM
frenchie79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get Magnets

I need 4 small Magnets for holding a hatch small hatch-Any Ideas where I can buy these local, Checked with Radio Shake-Nope
Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Where to get Magnets

Radio shack doesn't have the rare earth magnets or they just dont happen to have any in stock?

http://www.magnet4less.com/index.php...c75bb34d742efb
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
mclina

I just picked up two sets of four at my LHS. Of course, that doesn't help you at all, does it?

They sell these at Hobby City:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7645

Good luck
Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 PM
frenchie79

Thanks for the site. Radio Shack says they don't carry the rare earth Magnets (I don't think they know what they are. I heard at one time they carried the products. I'm trying to avoid ordering on line for just 4 of them and looking for alternatives-you know, but thanks for the site, interesting info, they even give lb's of pull.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
BarracudaHockey

I think they dont know what they are talking about

64-1895 is the part number taken off the radio shack magnets I just bought at our local RS about 2 weeks ago.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102642
Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Lnewqban

Wal-Mart has small magnets around 1/2" diameter x 1/8" thick at the Crafts section.

Regards!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 PM
mclina

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

I think they dont know what they are talking about

64-1895 is the part number taken off the radio shack magnets I just bought at our local RS about 2 weeks ago.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102642

The product review on there are pretty funny. "They were 1000 times smaller than shown in the picture" and "They didn't come with any instructions". It's a stinking magnet.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:56 PM
frenchie79

Thanks Guy! I'm going down to the local RS at lunch and have them pull the site-I always love the look on their face when they see the company does carry something they say they don't have.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I get mine from old PC hard disk drives. They use very strong magnets to control the head actuator.

Go to your local PC repair place and ask for an old hard drive, then tear it apart and take out the magnets - there will be two large ones. You can break the magnets by putting one end of the magnet on your cement basement floor, and the other end on a small support, such as piano wire or a small nut, then give the magnet a sharp wack in the middle with a hammer. Make sure you protect yourself from potentially flying broken metal by using safety goggles and by laying a piece of cloth over the magnet before striking it.

You can use these magnets with a piece of metal (strong), or magnet to magnet (very strong), for holding hatches on.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 02-19-2009, 01:24 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I use www.allelectronics.com for magnets. It is a surplus shop, sometimes the inventory changes.
Ben
Old 02-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: frenchie79

I need 4 small Magnets for holding a hatch small hatch-Any Ideas where I can buy these local, Checked with Radio Shake-Nope

try:

WWW.hobbyengineeering.com/H2310.html

Bill
Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM
frenchie79

Problem solved-Thanks everyone for the diffrent ideas and locations. Barracudahockey-I went down to RS at lunch and told the Stuffy gal behind the desk, the one that i called on the phone, to look up the part numbers you gave me. Sure enough she had them and in inventory-she didn't say a word except how many do you want. Go figure
Thanks again
Mark
Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
BarracudaHockey

Problem solved-Thanks everyone for the diffrent ideas and locations. Barracudahockey-I went down to RS at lunch and told the Stuffy gal behind the desk, the one that i called on the phone, to look up the part numbers you gave me. Sure enough she had them and in inventory-she didn't say a word except how many do you want. Go figure
Thanks again
Mark
You'd think with the number of unemployed people these days that companies could find qualified help.

I had a guy with a Masters in Information Technology driving me around Montreal in a cab.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case Radio Shack or a local source doesn't work, here is a site for magnets: http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/cat...hp?cPath=23_37
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Michaels craft store stocks them.. 1/4" and 1/2" size
There should be one near you
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home
Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 PM
beagleman

Michaels sells the 1/4 or 1/2" diameter neodynium and Joanns Fabrics sells 1/2 round and I think square. If you go to the button section next to beads, they also have a "magnetic" button with 1/8" neodynium magnets in it, I think they'd pop right out if you pried on them a little.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:27 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

[quote][/quotequote:

Thanks again
Mark

You'd think with the number of unemployed people these days that companies could find qualified help.

I had a guy with a Masters in Information Technology driving me around Montreal in a cab.]

I had a similar experience at Sears. Buddy of mine at work had a cool set of allen wrenches with a flexible "universal" type head on one end so you could use them normal or extend them straight and attach a ratchet if needed. They were made by "Gear Wrench" and he bought them at our local Sears, but when I went to get a set, they didn't have any on the shelf, no empty slot, and they didn't know what on Earth I was talking about. I finally found a catalog myself and showed the manager the part# and lo and behold, their computer told them their were 20 sets in a storage area in the back of the store that had been there for months. And this is a new product thats only been out a few months!! If I was the store manager, I would want to know why they weren't on the shelf to be sold, but no one seemed surprised or concerned. At least I did finally get my wrenches!