Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Concealing Battery Switches

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Concealing Battery Switches

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concealing Battery Switches

I am putting together another Warbird Arf; on my previous Warbird Arf's I have made compartments with hatches to hide the Switches, Charge Ports, etc. On this newest project I want to make it simple; I will be using Mechanical Retracts, and I may have 3 batteries; RX, Retract Servo and On Board Glow; all will need a switch and ways to charge these 3 batteries; my plan was to place a Switch/Charge Port Combo Unit for the RX, through the Fuselage; as for the other 2 batteries, I can leave the Charge ports/leads on the inside of the fuse and charge when the wing is off, before I go to the field, etc; the On Board Glow will have an alternate port as a remote glow in the event the onboard glow battery runs down; is there a way I can turn on the Retract and On board Glow Batteries remotely using my Radio, my thought was to mount micro servos with a small push rods to the toggles of normal RX/Battery Switches and plug these servos into unused channels and turn the switches on that way; or is there another way to accomplish the same without mounting them through the fuselage or making a Compartment, etc?

I can live with the RX Switch being mounted through the Fuselage.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:18 PM
huck1199

Default RE: Concealing Battery Switches

I think I saw an electronic switch for sale recently. I can't remember where. You plug it in to rour receiver nd operate it from a transmiter switch. If you could power both the glow and retracts from one battery this may make sense; the switch was expensive ($40-$50). The switch it self is power by your main battery. This would reduce your switch count to one.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:30 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen where an antenna mast is used to activate power switches. It simply hides a wire extension that flips the power switch, or even ganged power switches. Another option is to make a functional hatch in a scale location.

Scott
Old 02-28-2009, 03:06 PM
A6Ordie

[link=http://www.dimensionengineering.com/BattleSwitch.htm]Here[/link] these guys have a radio operated switch. They have 2 versions that handle different loads.[link=http://www.futurlec.com/RelSS.shtml]Here[/link] is a site that has some relays that might work. You probably already know this, but a relay is just an electrically operated switch. You could have one manual switch activate a bunch of relays. Even have the manual switch operate a couple and the receiver switch operate a couple. If you have a bigger load than the receiver switch can handle, you can use the receiver switch to operate the relay which can handle the load. You might even check with a local electronics supplier. They might be able to find you a nice solid state relay set up that will work with the voltages we run.

I think maybe I got to detailed, but hopefully you will find something useful in my ramblings.