Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cordless plane starter

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cordless plane starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:29 PM
jdkxtreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cordless plane starter

I am looking for the most simple way to make my hangar 9 plane starter cordless..Any ideas?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Cordless plane starter

Attach a NiMH or SLA battery pack to it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL372&P=ML
Old 02-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: jdkxtreme

I am looking for the most simple way to make my hangar 9 plane starter cordless..Any ideas?
I think there are several battery packs that can be added to your starter. Here's an example.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFT85&P=M
Old 02-27-2009, 04:54 PM
jdkxtreme

I was really hoping to be able to use maybe a 3 cell lipo somehow...I am only going to use it to start 40-60 size planes
Old 02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Use seven cell Nimh 1600 Mah and up. Wired in series for 16.8 volts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18378.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	1146281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26080.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	1146282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32868.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	1146283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27070.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1146284  
Old 02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
jdkxtreme

Thank you..That seems to be the most simple wa to do it
Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deleted.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 PM
-pkh-

I was really hoping to be able to use maybe a 3 cell lipo somehow...I am only going to use it to start 40-60 size planes
You could probably use a 3S or 4S LiPo battery pack. Just be sure it can handle the current. Since you typically don't run the starter very long, it shouldn't be too hard (or expensive) to find a pack that can handle it. If using LiPo, you should also consider using a low voltage monitor/alarm for it as well.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 AM
reelay

ive been thinkin about making a nose cone adapter for my cordless drill , anyone tryed it yet. Lee
Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 AM
jdkxtreme

I have. I saw one on line somewhere the other day..Not for sure of the company..Maybe sullivan..So I called them and she said it was a mistake. They did not end up making them and it should not have been on there webpage. Did look good though...
Old 02-28-2009, 08:24 AM
-pkh-

I tried it with my cordless drill and it didn't work well at all. My drill is not a high voltage "contractor grade" drill though. It just didn't have enough torque. I have heard/read of guys using them with success, though.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:29 AM
jdkxtreme

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

I tried it with my cordless drill and it didn't work well at all. My drill is not a high voltage "contractor grade" drill though. It just didn't have enough torque. I have heard/read of guys using them with success, though.

PKH I see you live in emmaus...I am down 100 south about 25 miles outside of pottstown..Are there any nice hobbyshops up that way?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 AM
JohnBuckner

While using cordless drills has been done by individuals there are two critical problems. The first is at their highest speed thy tend to crank to slow for many engines and the second is the handle and trigger is oriented wrong for our use and they are quite awkward to use and pull the trigger.

John
Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 AM
jdkxtreme

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

While using cordless drills has been done by individuals there are two critical problems. The first is at their highest speed thy tend to crank to slow for many engines and the second is the handle and trigger is oriented wrong for our use and they are quite awkward to use and pull the trigger.

John

I have found that to be a problem also....I did use my drill the other day with a hex nut on instead of a spinner ....I was just trying to free up an old stuck enya that I bought...It worked good for that..
Old 02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
-pkh-

PKH I see you live in emmaus...I am down 100 south about 25 miles outside of pottstown..Are there any nice hobbyshops up that way?
jdk, I sent you a PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Ram Jet

What did you put in the chuck? I think my 12 volt Ryobi will do it. It will drive a 3" deck screw with no problam.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-28-2009, 01:25 PM
JohnBuckner

It is not a question of whether or not the drill has enough torque Its the handle and trigger. Its very dangerous to try and use one single handed in the way most people will try and do, normally start their engines sixty sized and down.

If you do try you need to understand that they only way to use one of those is two handed. If you are a one handed starter (and I am not going to argue the pro and con of that but its a fact that is what a majority do with 60 and down) simply hold it up to the airplane and see how much control you have, very little.

I beleve that is why you will find no one selling units for that purpose at least for long untill they get sued.

John
Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Ram Jet

John
I'm reading all of your posts about the electric drill motor being used as an engine starter. I usually hand flip most of my engines. I have a hard time understanding why a drill motor won't have enough "juice" to start an engine. I'm not saying you are wrong but I haven't tried it. I'm going to. It's likly I'm going to win a bid in Auctionland on a Tunnel Hull Hydro boat with a conical shaped flywheel. All I want to know is where I can get a starter drive for my drill motor chuck. Anyone?

Bill

I have found that to be a problem also....I did use my drill the other day with a hex nut on instead of a spinner ....I was just trying to free up an old stuck enya that I bought...It worked good for that..
Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 PM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

What did you put in the chuck? I think my 12 volt Ryobi will do it. It will drive a 3" deck screw with no problam.

Thanks,
Bill
I used a starter cone from an old starter. It is a question of speed and torque (or just power). My drill has lots of torque on the low speed setting, but it's low rpm (too slow for a starter). My drill is a 9.6V Porter-Cable drill, which does fine for around-the-house drilling, nut/screwdriving etc. A 12V+ drill would definitely do a better job as a starter.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Ram Jet

It is not a question of whether or not the drill has enough torque Its the handle and trigger. Its very dangerous to try and use one single handed in the way most people will try and do, normally start their engines sixty sized and down.

If you do try you need to understand that they only way to use one of those is two handed. If you are a one handed starter (and I am not going to argue the pro and con of that but its a fact that is what a majority do with 60 and down) simply hold it up to the airplane and see how much control you have, very little.

I beleve that is why you will find no one selling units for that purpose at least for long untill they get sued.

John

Thank you John. Good advice I'm sure.

Bill
Old 02-28-2009, 02:28 PM
A6Ordie

Using a flashlight base from any cordless drill set you can make one of these. Works great!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Ram Jet

Thanks,
Bill
I used a starter cone from an old starter. It is a question of speed and torque (or just power). My drill has lots of torque on the low speed setting, but it's low rpm (too slow for a starter). My drill is a 9.6V Porter-Cable drill, which does fine for around-the-house drilling, nut/screwdriving etc. A 12V+ drill would definitely do a better job as a starter.

Thank you man. I'm going to try it. How fast does a "flip start" get the engine going? Do you have a rubber cone you want to sell?

Bill
Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 PM
carrellh

Try this
Starter Cone $5.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJC36&P=SM
Rubber insert $1.75
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL401&P=V
Old 02-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Try this
Starter Cone $5.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJC36&P=SM
Rubber insert $1.75
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL401&P=V

THAT'S THE TICKET! Thank you. I'll let you know. I'll use it first on my K&B 3.5 outboard F1 tunnel - if I win the bid.

Bill
Old 02-28-2009, 05:12 PM
jdkxtreme

Thanks,
Bill

When I used my drill I just put a nut on the shaft and used a socket on my drill.. I was just trying to spin it over though. I was not trying to start it.. You would never get the socket off if it started..

I went today and bought the hobbico batter box..This was of course before I saw the black and decker set up.lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.