Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Chord Question??????

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Chord Question??????

Old 03-01-2009, 06:14 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chord Question??????

Can someone explain to me what chord is and how it relates to airplanes. I heard someone talking the other day about chord on on a particular plane but was too embarrassed to ask.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Chord Question??????

Chord is simply the distance from the leading edge of the wing to the trailing edge of the wing.

Ken
Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Ed Smith

Chord is simply the distance from the leading edge of the wing to the trailing edge of the wing.
Believe me I do not wish to start an argument here. One has to be a little more specific. As stated before it is the distance from the LE to the TE, BUT parallel to the wing centre line (direction of flight) Think of a tapered wing. Would the distance be at 90deg to the leading edge or the trailing edge, there is a difference.

Ed S
Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

Believe me I do not wish to start an argument here. One has to be a little more specific. As stated before it is the distance from the LE to the TE, BUT parallel to the wing centre line (direction of flight) Think of a tapered wing. Would the distance be at 90deg to the leading edge or the trailing edge, there is a difference.

Ed S
Yes, I understand all of that. But he asked a simple question and I gave the simple answer. I doubt he intended for an extensive discussion of chord vs. wing types. He wanted to know what chord was in respect to an airplane and I gave him the answer to that question. Now if he wants to expand that out to a discussion of aerodynamics then expanding the answer out to what you mentioned would certianly be appropriate.

Ken
Old 03-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Ed Smith

Yes, I understand all of that. But he asked a simple question and I gave the simple answer.
I truly did not want to get into this. I tried to clarify your answer. That is all

However, seeing that you have taken offence I will say this. Your answer was at best unclear, at worst, totaly incorrect.

With my response he now knows how to measure the chord, with yours he did not.

A moderator should know better.

ED S

Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 PM
huck1199

I'm with Ken. The context of the question was such that a simple answer was called for.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:53 AM
jetmech05

Simple questions deserve simple answers....I think Ken's answer was correct, it was the answer I would have given....No need to over kill an answer and possibly confuse the person asking the question with a long over explanation.....Ed have you met Zor yet?l
Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Ed Smith

.....Ed have you met Zor yet?l
No I have not. I left it that he would contact me when he was ready to set up a meeting. So far nothing.

Ed S