Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Are there grants available to RC clubs

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Are there grants available to RC clubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
DAKOTANOVASS
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there grants available to RC clubs

I belong to a small club with about 30 members and we had the misfortune of having our shelter blown away. We just dont have the funds to rebuild it now. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any grants available to a RC club that's been affected by mother nature.

Thanks for any advice.

Terrell
Old 03-04-2009, 11:37 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Are there grants available to RC clubs

contact the AMA......
Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
DAKOTANOVASS

Is there anywhere else other than the AMA to get grants.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Whats wrong with the AMA; they have grants for flying site assistance, contact your District VP or the AMA directly

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...s/drelief.aspx

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/712.pdf
Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
DAKOTANOVASS

There's nothing wrong with the AMA, but its past their March 1st deadline and they only contribute 10% of the difference, but every little bit would help. We would like to get the shelter up this summer. So that's why I am asking if there is any other grants available out there.

Terrell
Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

One way to get a new shelter is to look at Craigslist and see if you can find building material that someone needs to get rid of. You could even post an ad to see if there are people out there that have material or a shed or something that needs to be gotten rid of. That way you might be able to find the material for it for free or next to free and assemble the club members to rebuild a shelter.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Other than the AMA grants, your best bet is to try fundraisers or solicit donations (money or materials).

If the shelter was that important to the members, 30 members should be able to kick in some money and labor to help get another shelter up.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 AM
jetmech05

Since most clubs are self insured...you need some cash reserves in the treasury....it won't help you now...perhaps you need to re-think your dues until you have some cash in a bank account.....
Sorry to hear of your troubles..please let us know what you did to fix it
Old 03-06-2009, 08:17 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DAKOTANOVASS

There's nothing wrong with the AMA, but its past their March 1st deadline and they only contribute 10% of the difference, but every little bit would help. We would like to get the shelter up this summer. So that's why I am asking if there is any other grants available out there.

Terrell
I believe AMA has supported more than 10%. Our club structures were significantly damaged in a wind storm 16 months ago. You could contact our secretary or treasurer for accurate details. I seem to remember AMA contributed several thousand dollars toward our rebuild. This is the website for contact info:http://baycityflyers.org/ .

PS: I see that our new website does not have telephone numbers for the officers. PM me if you wish to contact them concerning our AMA asistance during our rebuild.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:21 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Did you try the Wilton Tree Board ? They assist various organizations with material and labor. Emil Bergquist, David Krein, McDonald Omafray, and Kyle Tschosik
Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 PM
DAKOTANOVASS

Pilotfighter

Are you from Wilton. Beings you know these people. The RC club I am in is in Bismarck. So I doubt they would supply materials for a Bismarck Club. By the way, Emil passed away about a year or two ago..

Jetmech05

We do have money in reserve, but just not enough. The club has been doing what it can to put money in a shelter fund for two years now. Their are also other improvements we would like to make, possible getting electricity, a bigger storage building, etc. The grant would just not be for a shelter. As far as dues are concerned, we try to make it affordable at $50 a year. Thats about average for a North Dakota RC club. What are some of your guys dues at now.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

$45 per year, but we have almost 400 members too. Our club has something like $28,000 in the treasury.

AMA will help. They would be my first call.

You could do a one-time special assessment to all members. Figure out what it costs for the shelter. Break it down between all members. Have the membership vote on the assessment.

Our club did a one-time special assessment to pay for $137,000 worth of concrete. We passed and paid. The runway is 750' x 50' Each member (roughly 400 people) paid $200 and the rest of the money came from our treasury. We had about $80,000 in the treasury at the time.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 PM
DAKOTANOVASS

I am sure you did the math for my club, at $50 for 30 members = $1500. Doesnt go very far when trying to build something.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Live Wire

Stimulas or Bail out money
Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

$200 x 30 = $6000

Present the idea of a 1-time assessment for the shelter.

How important is it to the membership?

Best way to deal with it is to get a group of guys together and have each guy find out what a specific part of the job will cost. You will need to purchase the shelter.

Who ever comes up with the idea is the guy in charge of the project. He gathers team members and delegates responsibility and tasks.

One guy in charge of pricing various shelters. Be open minded about what you can afford and what will best serve your needs for 10-15yrs.
One guy in charge of the foundation dirt work. Engineering, earth contractor, hauling contractor.... work the logistics and cost.
One guy in charge of the concrete. Total yardage needed for footings and slab, cost per yard, on site disposal for truck?
One guy in charge of permits and issues with big brother. Permit, zoning etc..
One guy to put the whole package together and present it to the the board. Team members present. Board overview. Modifications and initial presentation to club membership. Membership feedback and ideas implemented to design when practical and logical. New design submitted to membership. Final adjustments. Membership votes.

What are they voting for?

An assessment to the membership. They all know they need it. They all want it. They all need to decide how important it is to them and how much they are willing to pay for it.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:12 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

OH, Bismarck.

Well then, try Paul Quist, the president of the Bismarck Board of Park Commisioners, or Michael Gilbertson, the Vice president of the Bismarcks Board of Park Commissioners, or Jennifer Deforest, Mike O'Brian or Brian Beattie, the commisioners or the clerk , Steven Neu.

These guys can likely hook you up or at least steer you in the right direction. Good luck.