Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Power Panel Question

Old 06-12-2003, 02:25 AM
Fly RC II
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Power Panel Question

Hello all!

I'm running a modified Hobbico power panel (don't know exactly which one) and I swapped the leads going into the panel for some much heavier one. I think I used 12 if not 10 gauge wire going into the panel. Now my starter runs much better because of the least resistance between the starter and battery. My question is this; Where or who's got the panel that has these leads and/or wiring throughout their panel? I emailed Cermark regarding the LCD power panel but I haven't received a reply yet so I thought I would as you folks this question. This question might be a good candidate for a poll, but lets start here first to see what kind of replies I get.

Thanks in advance!

David
Old 06-12-2003, 11:16 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dave,
I also had trouble running my starter from the power panel. The banana plugs were getting warm. So what I did was wire some heavy duty jacks directly to the battery with matching plugs on the starter.

Tom
Old 06-12-2003, 03:47 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also replaced the (supplied) power-IN wires that were supplied with my Hobbico power panel. I'm actually using a 2000 mAh 14-cell nicad pack in my field box, and didn't like the looks of the cheapo 16-gauge wire that it came with. 10-gauge wire is used throughout, with an old Astro zero-loss connector in between the panel and battery pack.

I needed the extra voltage as my geared starter turned a little too slowly on 12V.

I need to add an inline fuse of some sort. These cells are quite capable of dumping 40+ amps if something shorts...
Old 06-14-2003, 02:12 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use to have the same complaint about power panels. They never seam to make the wire heavy enough to handle the starter. Then one day I got a great idea. I hooked up the starter direct to the battery. Got a ni-starter for the glow plug . Tore the power panel out of the flight box and have not had any problems for the last 10 years.
All kidding aside if you want to use a power panel keeping the starter separate and hooked direct to the 12 volt source does solve a lot of problems.