Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Added Safety

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:40 PM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added Safety

I was on HobbyKing.com looking around and I noticed that they have a 15A regulator, the kind that I'd get to run a 2S lipo on my receiver, with a fail-on switch. I really liked that idea. A switch that didn't close a circuit, but one that would open a circuit....if that makes any sense. Like, most switches are made to open a circuit by default and close the circuit when it's switched. From what I understand, this one works the opposite way. I've seen many switches fail before, and heard of even more failures.

I guess what I'm asking is where can I get these safety switches, and are they really worth it? I'd hate to crash my favorite plane because my SWITCH failed!!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Added Safety

When I am able I will be ordering a few of these [link=http://www.rcaccessory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=83]switches[/link]

Dru.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 PM
victorzamora

Holy crap!! That's an expensive switch!! All I know is that that thing had better work miracles for $25. It does look nice, but my biggest engine is a Saito100...so I don't think I really need that nice of a switch quite yet. Is it fail-on, though?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Considering that switch has a built-in battery meter ($12) and charge jack ($3) I'd say it's not terribly expensive, and is much cleaner than installing component wise.

I am interested in this 'fail-on' switch as well, so anyone with any experience please chime in
Old 03-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen this one used at our field. Very bottom of the page. Pin and flag fail safe. Its used on a 150cc Python biplane.
Edwin

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...Smart-Fly.html
Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM
victorzamora

That's a pretty switch. Quick question though, do you have to have a smartfly reg with that switch or not??
Old 03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just guessing, but probably yes. The guy that uses this one in the club also runs the regulators. When you have that much invested in a 150cc plane the cost of a switch like this is nothing. On the other hand, for a typical medium sized arf, would be hard to justify. I check my switches once and awhile using a transformer type of ordital sander. Leave the paper off and just hold it up against the fuse new the switch. I use a led voltage monitor to see if the voltage jumps around. If it does, in goes a new switch.
Edwin