Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What's a good plane for windy conditions?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What's a good plane for windy conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:24 PM
skatsrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a good plane for windy conditions?

I live in Aruba where the wind blows 15 - 20+ kts. I've flown some RC planes many years ago and want to get back into it. Am considering the Sky Raider mach 1 because of the big wingspan (65 in) and most importantly the semi-symetrical wing. My other choice is a Super Stick .60 with a fully symetrical wing. If anyone has some imput they like to share I'd love to hear it.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:42 PM
sticktickler

Default RE: What's a good plane for windy conditions?

ORIGINAL: skatsrc

I live in Aruba where the wind blows 15 - 20+ kts. I've flown some RC planes many years ago and want to get back into it. Am considering the Sky Raider mach 1 because of the big wingspan (65 in) and most importantly the semi-symetrical wing. My other choice is a Super Stick .60 with a fully symetrical wing. If anyone has some imput they like to share I'd love to hear it.
The Sig Four Star 40, 60 or even the 120 size with a gas engine would be a great choice. This planes has a nice (not real thick) low wing with a little dihedral for added stability. This timeless design handles wind very well and larger engines can also help. However flying in the higher winds over say 15mph does require good judgment and flying skills. As always practice is the ultimate key to success.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd fly a Stick in any wind short of a hurricane.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with Ed {Surprise!!} Another good choice is the Ultrea Sport or any of the old pattern style of plane. I no longer have a stick but when the wind is up I grab my old Kaos.
Gene
Old 03-20-2009, 09:25 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

I'd fly a Stick in any wind short of a hurricane.
The Sticks are without a doubt the best, myself and a friend did fly them on the remands of a Hurricane a few years back with no problems.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the sticks for several reasons. Primary... is they have no dihedral that while generally providing some stability, is not your friend in very windy conditions.

Second, the shoulder wing is high enough to stay away from the ground but not so high as to cause a lot of roll force leverage from cross winds.

Third, a stick is simple with no cowl, wheel pants, struts, canopy and what not to take a beating.

The stick is my choice for strong windy days.... but there are several at our field that love their Bees on such days.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:51 AM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Stick has my vote as well. Hard to beat whether it's windy or calm.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 AM
dhal22

the 4 star is a good choice. i used to fly my 60 size almost every day after work yrs ago. including when hurricane andrew's (i think) remnants blew through the atlanta area. that day i had a hard time making any headway into the wind, i could land at zero ground speed. that was a fun day.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 AM
flaminheli

As far as I am concerned, anything that will start and run.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Villa

A SPAD plane is my choice. I love flying in high winds, but no matter howcare full or skilled I am, there will be the occasional snap roll, cartwheel, or hard landing. The SPAD type of plane is able to take a much greater beating than the traditional balsa plane.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 AM
victorzamora

I tend to fly anything in the wind now, but that's just because I don't have an Ultra Stick anymore. Anyone that recommended an Ultra Stick or something like the Kaos/Ultra Sport gave you top-notch advice. I remember flying my Stick in wind so high it was slightly bending my antenna. I landed vertically, and took off the same way (boy do I love those flaps).

That plane has very little surface area for the wind to grab hold of, no dihedral, and the shoulder-wing style doesn't give the wind that lifts the upwind wing as much torque to flip your plane around. The vertical stab is also large and effective, so even in the windiest of conditions just keep the throttle up with your crow-flap mix going and you'll have your prop thrust blowing over your tail more than the wind....if that makes sense.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:00 PM
A6Ordie

I answered with the Superstick in you other thread, but since Villa brought up SPAD's. SPAD's love the wind, because they tend to be a bit heavier than a balsa counterpart. Also they are much much more durable than balsa planes and will handle the Oops! when you get a stray gust that comes up and suprises you. You can build a Spad Stick from www.spadtothebone.com for cheap and they fly great and are much easier to repair when some damage does occur.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:25 PM
TedMo

I will not disagree with the repliesyou already have but if you want a great windy weather plane my vote is The Revolver.This is a fully symetrical airfoil tapered wing and is capable of all pattern type maneuvers which cuts through wind like they're not there. Very streamlined, a bit heavy but that helpsin penetration. Fast on landings though. It's my favorite for the windy days
Old 03-21-2009, 02:16 PM
skatsrc

Thanks for all the input, fellas. Will definitely help in my decission to choose a plane.
Happy Flying, Sam
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

skatrc- Depending on your on your abilities, I would recommend a Twist or Sig Mayhem. Both are really fun to fly in the wind- great to hover and fly backwards! But Stiks are fun too! I also like to fly my Super Sportster in the wind.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

For me it's the String and Kite. I try and avoid windy days as much as possible. I'll bring out my planes if the wind gusts are 8mph or less.

I do know one thing, a Piper Cub is NOT a good plane to fly in the wind. I learned that from one of the lessons at the School of Hard Knocks. [:@]
Old 03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

There are a lot of planes that are fun to fly in the wind but not all planes handle that well in wind. I have had more fun with a Sr. Telemaster in high wind then any other plane but it doesn't handle as well as a good old school pattern plane or stick. Luft, in my area if you don't learn to fly in the wind then you will be flying that kite a lot more then you want to. Our mornings usually start out fine but the wind will hit you without any warning and already be at 20mph when they hit. It's always a big surprise to take off with no wind and make a turn then shazam!! 20mph right now.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:12 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Sig Kougar. You won't even notice 30mph winds.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:33 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the Super Stick and Ultra Stick planes the best in the wind.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 AM
rsands2801

i agree with the other poster...something that starts and flies. as long as i know the engine has enough kick in it to pull it out of trouble then i will fly. i fly the funtana x50 and usually land with barely any ground speed but you need to be quick in gusty wind...it can very very easily drop a wing if the wind is gusting around.