Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

receiver choices

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

receiver choices

Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: receiver choices

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

Awww, I sense an Airtronics owner with hurt feelings. [&o]

I never said it was a piece of junk. It's a great buy if all you need are full size 8 channel receivers. If you want cheaper receivers with lower channel counts, and/or want some micro PF receivers, then it doesn't quite fit the bill right now, does it?
The Airtronics 92824 receiver weighs .53 oz. or 15.02 grams. The JR AR500 weighs 7 grams or .2469 oz. The JR AR500 is slightly less then 1/2 the weight of the Airtronics 92824 receiver. I would consider both to be very light weight. If your involved in Indoor Foamy electrics and/or electric helicopters, maybe this weight difference is a big deal. Since I'm not, it means very little to me. I can see wanting cheaper/lighter receivers. However, why would you need fewer channels, even though they're not being used, if the weight is the same; or close, who cars if 3 extra channels are going along for a ride?

I think Spektrum, JR, Futaba, Airtronics and Hitech all have good equipment, probably all of the same high quality and reliability. To think one is better then the other is a simple, meaningless bias. I've stuck with Airtronics, becasue I've had good results with them and their customer service is excellent.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:02 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Well, not to belabor the point (I know, I am):

The AR500 is a full range receiver. When I referred to PF (park flyer) receivers, I was referring to the AR6100 receiver that is 1/4 the size and weight of the 92824, and less than 2/3 the price. If you want to go even smaller and fly micro (aircraft weighing less than 1oz), you can even get an all-in-one "brick" unit with two servos, receiver, and an ESC all on one board that weighs in at 3.25 grams. (see photos below).

Since you are stuck with whatever brand of TX you choose for 2.4GHz, just be sure that you are going to be happy with the RX options, and the upgrade TXs available. Spektrum has a large selection. Futaba is getting there. Airtronics is just starting out, and initial selection is limited. Hitec will give us yet another 2.4GHz choice soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76008.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1165955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34287.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1165956  
Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Mode One

I went back to the original question asked here just to see how far -pkh- and myself had wondered from this question. The O.P. was wondering if other, cheaper receivers would work with the Airtronics RDS8000 system. The simple answer is NO. I bought the RDS8000 system because it fit my need and came with two 92824 receivers I have also purchase three 92824 receivers on Ebay for $60.00 each as a quantity purchase. I'm unsure where the need for lighter/smaller receivers surfaced in this thread and I guess I don't really care.
Are there lighter/smaller/cheaper receivers then the Airtronics 92824, yes. Airtronics however, does not make one, yet.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
sowega flyer

I'm looking at buying the RDS8000 myself.
I have seen that corona makes a FHSS rx that is supposed to work with these radios- has anyone tried them?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:24 PM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: sowega flyer

I have seen that corona makes a FHSS rx that is supposed to work with these radios- has anyone tried them?
I've seen these on HobbyCity's website. Didn't see any mention of them being compatible with Airtronics. Where did you hear that?

Corona makes FHSS and DSSS systems, from what I've read so far, they are not compatible with any of the major brands.

[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?catname=2.4Ghz+Co rona+FHSS&idCategory=293&ParentCat=190]Corona FHSS Systems at HobbyCity[/link]

[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?catname=2.4Ghz+Co rona+DSSS&idCategory=292&ParentCat=190]Corona DSSS Systems at HobbyCity[/link]
Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

compatibility that they mention for corona is more the the transmitter module is compatible with futaba airtronics and jr modular radios not that the receiver works with airtronics. thats a misnomer. the receiver technologies are pretty propriety as far I know. maybe one day they will standardize but somehow i doubt it will happen soon.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:36 AM
sowega flyer

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

ORIGINAL: sowega flyer

I've seen these on HobbyCity's website. Didn't see any mention of them being compatible with Airtronics. Where did you hear that?

Corona makes FHSS and DSSS systems, from what I've read so far, they are not compatible with any of the major brands.

[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?catname=2.4Ghz+Co rona+FHSS&idCategory=293&ParentCat=190]Corona FHSS Systems at HobbyCity[/link]

[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?catname=2.4Ghz+Co rona+DSSS&idCategory=292&ParentCat=190]Corona DSSS Systems at HobbyCity[/link]
I didn't hear it at all, thats why I was asking. I didn't know if they were for the modules or if they were just aftermarket rx's. The reason for my question is because they make the 2 different kinds. (DSSS and FHSS)
The chinese website doesn't make it clear that they are compatible with their module system only...
By my statement; "these radios", I wasn't meaning brand name- I was meaning the 2.4 GHZ radios-any brand.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:13 PM
-pkh-

As far as I know, even the cheap off-brands, Corona, Assan, HobbyKing, etc. only work with like branded equipment. I've yet to see anyone offer equipment compatible with other brands. JR, Spektrum and some ParkZone are of course compatible (DSM2), but they are all Horizon products.

I believe there is a lot of firmware in the 2.4GHz radio equipment for the frequency hopping and code spreading algorithms, and for an off-brand to be compatible, they'd have to copy it, which would probably be copyright infringement. There are probably some patents protecting various brand name systems as well. That may not stop Hong Kong or China from making some knockoffs in the future, though!

I was hoping after Spektrum and Futaba came our with 2.4GHz systems, Airtronics and/or Hitec would license technology from one of them for compatibilty, but everyone is doing their own thing.