Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is it necessary to use after run oil?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is it necessary to use after run oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:14 PM
starfire73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it necessary to use after run oil?

I use Morgan Fuels - Omega Castor/Synth blend (the pink stuff). I use 10% and 15%. Is states pretty clearly on the bottle, not to use after run oil as this fuel has additives to protect the engine from corosion.

Any experience with this?

- Were there fuels at one time that didn't have a storage additive in it?

- Can we really get away with not using an after run oil, when it's called for?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Is it necessary to use after run oil?

G'day Mate,
I use a mixture of 50% ATF & 50% air tool oil, as my after run oil, I use it in every engine, after I run the thing dry, 4 stroke & 2 stroke, makes no difference, after every flying session.
Some say they don't use it, some say they do, I have always used it, since 1981, because I can, not because of what someone has told me, YOU need to decide, if you want to protect your investment, by adding oil, or just hope for the best.
It's up to you.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Jester241

I personally have never use after run oil. I have never had problems yet,but I also dont let my engines sit too long without atleast starting them up for a couple minutes. Your omega fuel is likely telling you not to use after run becuase it has castor oil in it which is a very good rust protector. The morgan fuels green cool power for example is all synthetic with no caster and thus you dont get that extra rust protection. Synthetic oil from what I understand does not like to stick to metal and runs off the metal were castor is good at sticking to metal(thus the rust protection). Hope that helps you understand better.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Phoenixangel

No you do not have to use it, especially if you run your engine often, I use it in anything that will set around for a while. I also use it in bushing style engines like the OS LA series.

I think about starting engines more then after they run, if you look around you will find a lot of post that say these oils did not prevent rust.

It seems to me that until your fuel gets into the crankcase that the only lubrication available would be from the last run. If you have a a high content castor that would not really be a problem, castor will thicken and stick to metals.

The newer high synthetic blends thicken with heat and thin once cooled much easier and will run off of bearings/bushings.
So until your engine has fuel circulated throughout you have very little oil on your moving parts. 10-15 revolutions without fuel and oil do not sound real promising to me.

Good case for castor I guess LOL.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:25 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it necessary? No

But many people like the security of the extra insurance
Old 03-28-2009, 09:49 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use it as cheap insurance. I cannot directly contribute my use of after run oil to this next statement, but I have never in 30 plus years of flying had an engine sieze, a bearing go bad or rust in my engine. Even when OS was having the issue's with the liners going bad, I was running the same engines with a castor/syntetic blend fuel, after run oil after every trip to the field and I never had any problems at all. In my mind, after run oil is awesome. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
starfire73

Yeah... I'll probably just use it for my winter storage season. That's what I did last year. No after run from start of season until the snow falls, then I put some after run in 'em and put 'em away.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM
flaminheli

In over 20 years of flying I have never used afterrun oil and have never had engine problems.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Mode One

The one time I didn't use it and the engine sat for a year or so, the bearings were toast when I went to think about using the engine again. I am pretty religeous about its use, in this case I wasn't and paid the price.

Obviously people don't use it and seem to think they're o.k. I feel it costs so little to use and I've made a living from machines my entire life and using oil to preserve and inhibit corrosion in them just makes sense to me. There certainly are no ill effects from using an after run.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
starfire73

ORIGINAL: Mode One

... There certainly are no ill effects from using and after run.
Good point.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 AM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

I use it, it makes me worry less about rust or green gunk building up in my engine if I have to store the plane for a while. Plus it really helps with the cold starts. I swear by it and highly recommend it. Mystery Oil works good too from what a few people have told me, but I use the Hobbico After Run Oil... my Evolution Engines just love it!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Mode One

I will also run the engine dry before using an after run. I realize that this really doesn't run the engine dry, that some fuel and oil remains in the engine. I feel using an after run purges more of this fuel residue from the engine. The thought is, it is this residue that turns acidic, that will cause problems.

The above is my opinion. It is based on my experiences and the recommendations of Clarence Lee and other engine gurus who have recommend using an after run oil. Naturally, those engine gurus who disagree with what my favored engine guys have said and what I think about the subject and my experiences, are disregarded! Maybe it's just the process of providing a little extra care after the run session, that preserves the engine. At any rate, the after run oil is inexpensive to add and like I've said, it doesn't hurt anything.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:15 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on Mode One

Roby