Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Where can I get a needle shutoff valve for glo fuel line.

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Where can I get a needle shutoff valve for glo fuel line.

Old 06-15-2003, 02:23 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Where can I get a needle shutoff valve for glo fuel line.

There are times when you might want to completely stop the flow of glo fuel into the carb without jacking around and disturbing the setting on the carb needle to do this. Yes, one could just pull the line off of the carb, but some models have a very tight engine compartment that you can barelly get a couple of finger tips in.

A seperate needle valve with a tee fitting that can be spliced into a large I.D. glo size fuel line just before the carb would be nice.

I suppose if I have to, I can some how adapt a remote needle valve, though they are made so they don't usually splice into a horizontal glo line in a tee fashion. It seems most remote needle valve assemblies offered on Tower's web site are also designed for smaller sized glo engines and glo fuel lines. I need this for my Moki 2.1

Anybody know where I can purchase such a thing? If all else fails, I guess I can always adapt a high-tech modified clothes pin.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:17 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Where can I get a needle shutoff valve for glo fuel line.

Anybody know where I can purchase such a thing? If all else fails, I guess I can always adapt a high-tech modified clothes pin. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don,t know about a clothes pin but in Q40 pylon racing the Nelson Q40 engine has only a venturi and rules require a shut off and the normal method is to mount a simple wire ring along side the fuel line which a wire rod with hook protrudes through the ring and hooked on the line with the other end attached to a servo arm. when activated the the wire pulls the line partially into the ring and pinches off the fuel line. For manual use just let the rod extend outside the fuselage and pull to shut down.

Dubro makes a smoke valve that lists for $10.50 that is a cam operated pinch off with a lever arm for servo activation that could be used manually also. Not sure if it would accept the large size fuel line though.

John
Old 06-15-2003, 07:24 PM
YNOT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why do you need one?

For heli's and pylon planes we use a small plastic clip that will pinch off the fuel. Reason is not for shutting of the fuel, but to ensure not flooding the motor when filling it up.

The more valves and connections you have in your fuel line, the more chances for air leaks. Try to keep you connections to a minimum.

On a sport plane, if you need to turn the motor off, you should have the throttle set up, so when you are at low throttle and low trim the barrel is completely closed so there is no air. The motor will die.

If you want to ensure there is no fuel left in the system for storage, empty the tank, then put on you battery and spin it over with an electric starter. It may pop and die very fast and no you have just burn off any fuel in the line. If you don't have an electric started, its a real pain.

Remember to put a couple of drops of afterrun oil after you have run it dry.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:02 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John,

Thanks for the help. But I really wanted a simple valve without a special servo hook up that I can quickly shut the incoming supply of fuel off WHILE I FLIP OVER THE ENGINE AND BURN OFF EXISTING fuel that is flooding the engine. But I still have use of the carb.

YNOT,
That's the reason.

I have found that if I dont get my Moki 2.1 started real quick while hand flipping it, the engine will flood fast.(I don't want to buy a special starter just for this engine) Especially with the perry pump hooked up to it: with each unsuccessfull flip of the prop, the pump feeds more gas into the carb.(and REALLY floods it out!) Therefore, whenever the engine is flooded during an unsuccessfull attempt to start it, I find it is very necessary to stop incoming fuel. I have been manually pulling the glo line off. Once I get the engine to start, I let it run for about 10 seconds until it burns off the remaining fuel, and the engine stops on its own. Then I can put the fuel supply back on, and flip the prop again. At that point the engine goes on in one or two flips and stays running good.

TODAY I MADE MY OWN SHUTOFF VALVE THAT WORKS VERY WELL:
To do this I cut a 1/2" dowel about 2 inches long. I drilled a hole the diameter of the glo line through the dowel about midlength, one inch down or so. Starting at one end of the dowel, I then drilled a hole lengthwise down into the dowel (about 1" deep) until it met up and crossed into the first hole. (but you only drill far enough to penetrate only one side of the glo line hole, not go through the both sides of it)

With a tap, you then make threads in the 1" long hole, and apply a bolt. I used a wing bolt which is easier to turn. The valve is done!

To use it, I simply pass the glo line through the cross hole in this this Wooden device. When you tighten the bolt down, it very easilly squeezes the line closed. To eliminate a hard bolt surface from scratching or maybe cutting the glow line after repeated use, I cut a 1/4" long piece of narrow dowel (a hair thinner then the diameter of the bolt) sanded the end smooth and rounded, and then dropped it down the threaded hole, and put the bolt back in the hole on top of it. So now when I turn the steel bolt to close the fuel line, it will push this little wooden pellet (resting directly onto the glo line)onto the silicone glo line crimping it closed with a softer and less harder surface then the metal bolt surface would have. I also applied a light coat of epoxy to the exposed surfaces to fuel proof it, though this is not really necessary

You can make the valve (dowel) as long as you like. I made it 2" long so I would have an inch or so of dowel and enough "meat" left over to work out a way to mount it in the engine compartment later. Right now it's hanging loose on the glo line on my test stand.

Now you know how I spent my Father's Day. Being the usual recluse I am, out in the Garage again, but this time inventing wooden shutoff valves.