Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

air compressor ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

air compressor ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
cvint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air compressor ?

I have a 2 gallon Campbell Housfield compressor for air brushing. It blew a 5 amp glass fuse. I replaced the fuse. when I turned it on,there was a loud pop and the circuit breaker tripped. The fuse I installed did not
blow,but the compressor will not run. Any idea about which component blew up ?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 PM
flaminheli

Default RE: air compressor ?

Sounds like it is time for a new compressor. The compressor might have locked up causing the motor to burn up. CH compressors are usually oilless, which means they are light duty and not expected to last a long life if used continuosly.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: cvint

I have a 2 gallon Campbell Housfield compressor for air brushing. It blew a 5 amp glass fuse. I replaced the fuse. when I turned it on,there was a loud pop and the circuit breaker tripped. The fuse I installed did not
blow,but the compressor will not run. Any idea about which component blew up ?

I have a similar problem with a 20 galon comptrssor. I'll be interested in the responses.

Bill
Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Phoenixangel

somewhere in the wiring there is likely a start capacitor.. a lot of the time when it goes out the motor will draw power but not turn, blowing fuses or throwing breakers.

Should actually be a plug n unplug little item, not always but if your lucky.

This is for a large compressor one for a 2 gallon system will be smaller.

It should be wired in but kind of mounted on its own somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84043.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1170268  
Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Villa

My guess is the air end is locked up. First thing is drain all of the water out of the system. I suppose it is possible that water may have even backed up into the air end. Moisture is a common problem in air compressors. Then try to turn something; the motor, the air end, the coupling, to check for freedom of movement. If the running gear is lubricated, oil or grease, it may need some. I designed and trouble shooted larger air compressors for some 30 years and they all have similar problems.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Villa

Hi Ram Jet
What I wrote already may apply to yours also. Another thing I just thought of is this: an air compressor must have the compressed air removed from the compression chamber while the compressor is accelerating from being stopped to going to full speed. Otherwise it will require much more amperes and/or blows the fuse/breaker. Usually there is a pneumatic control valve that will vent the compression chamber but keep pressure in the receiver during the second or two it takes to get the thing up to speed. Some of these valves may have a mechanical connection to the crankshaft to pick up cenrtifugal action. That valve may need cleaning or replacing. If there is a problem with that valve, it will show up only if there is pressure in the receiver and the compressor is operating in the start/stop mode. The valve has various names depending on the manufacturer and I cannot recall any of the names at the moment. Let me know if any of this helps. You can probably go to a local compressor dealer, describe your problem, and they may have a valve for you. I just remembered that on small units like yours, the automatic on/off pressure switch can have, built in, a function to remove the pressure from the compression chamber for start up. Cleaning the switch may help. You have to get all of the gummy oil out of everything. You may need a new switch.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:56 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Villa

My guess is the air end is locked up. First thing is drain all of the water out of the system. I suppose it is possible that water may have even backed up into the air end. Moisture is a common problem in air compressors. Then try to turn something; the motor, the air end, the coupling, to check for freedom of movement. If the running gear is lubricated, oil or grease, it may need some. I designed and trouble shooted larger air compressors for some 30 years and they all have similar problems.

Thank you Villa, great suggestion. I have come into a freebie 20 gal. compressor. It must be fairly old as it has a round "sight glass" for compressor lube level. I'm going to pull it all apart and paint it. I'm going to me looking (now) for moisture and a spun con rod or main bearing. She just too old and nice a girl to trash.

Best regards,
Bill
Old 04-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi Ram Jet
What I wrote already may apply to yours also. Another thing I just thought of is this: an air compressor must have the compressed air removed from the compression chamber while the compressor is accelerating from being stopped to going to full speed. Otherwise it will require much more amperes and/or blows the fuse/breaker. Usually there is a pneumatic control valve that will vent the compression chamber but keep pressure in the receiver during the second or two it takes to get the thing up to speed. Some of these valves may have a mechanical connection to the crankshaft to pick up cenrtifugal action. That valve may need cleaning or replacing. If there is a problem with that valve, it will show up only if there is pressure in the receiver and the compressor is operating in the start/stop mode. The valve has various names depending on the manufacturer and I cannot recall any of the names at the moment. Let me know if any of this helps. You can probably go to a local compressor dealer, describe your problem, and they may have a valve for you. I just remembered that on small units like yours, the automatic on/off pressure switch can have, built in, a function to remove the pressure from the compression chamber for start up. Cleaning the switch may help. You have to get all of the gummy oil out of everything. You may need a new switch.

Sir, it all makes sense. I know very little about air compressors except that you never spin dry caged ball or roller bearings with them and never point a pressure cleaning gun in someone's face. I'll check into your suggestions and let you know. I'm not afraid of old tools. I have a bench grinder that has no sealed ball bearings and that you have to disassemble to oil it with (I use Mobil One Synthetic) engine oil.

We'll see.

Regards
Bill