Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cowl Cutting

Old 06-15-2003, 10:02 AM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cowl Cutting

I would like some opinions here please,

1) Whats the easiset way to mark & cut the holes for a Pitts Muffler in the Cowl?

2) Do you cut the holes just big enough for the stacks to go through or do you cut a big square section so most of the exhaust area is seen?

Thanks for your help and replies in advance.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all the Fathers here on RCU
Old 06-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Flypaper 2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cowl Cutting

I rough it out with a mini hacksaw blade and finish it with a Dremel carbide cutter. Make the cuttout big enough to let the hot air out of the cowl. Rule of thumb is roughly three times the inlet area.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:51 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cowl Cutting

Do yourself a favor... Cut BIG.

This is always one of my most painful decisions. I just built this gorgeous plane, and now I have to cut it up(!) But it seems like every time I try to cut away the least amount of cowl, it comes back to haunt me. Now, I just accept the fact that an engine needs to breath, and cut large enough so that I won't have to enlarge it later.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:29 PM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Thanks

I rough it out with a mini hacksaw blade and finish it with a Dremel carbide cutter. Make the cuttout big enough to let the hot air out of the cowl. Rule of thumb is roughly three times the inlet area.

Thanks prolly cut mine with my dremel cutting blade, then finish it with a sander. I kinda thought it had to be a bit bigger. Thanks .

Do yourself a favor... Cut BIG.

This is always one of my most painful decisions. I just built this gorgeous plane, and now I have to cut it up(!) But it seems like every time I try to cut away the least amount of cowl, it comes back to haunt me. Now, I just accept the fact that an engine needs to breath, and cut large enough so that I won't have to enlarge it later.

Thanks Minnflyer. I can understand that about having to cut it bigger and messing up a beautiful plane. Man I was thinking when I posted this that you would reply with your EXCELLENT drawings that you do so well , anyways no need for it. I guess I will cut it about the size of the engine and maybe a little bit bigger. Goosh that is gonna be soooo hard to do and mess up the cowl.

Again Thanks guys for your repsonses. I do appreciate it as well as RCU for being here

Have a Happy Fathers Day ALL.