Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Please help me with these Spektrum problems

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Please help me with these Spektrum problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:24 PM
trpastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me with these Spektrum problems

Ok, I don't really know WHERE to being. I have had problems with 4 different spektrum receivers (ar500 (2) ar6200 (2)) using 3 different batteries, and 3 different planes. I'm using a dx6i

The first thing that happened was that the receiver would start freaking and twitching after a few minutes/seconds after having turned it on. This was with a ar500, and jr 1100mah battery. I switched the ar500 and it was doing it with the second. One was involved in a crash, one a fender bender.

Then I put in a ar6200, and it stopped

Then I had problems with a 6200 and a battery. I switched batteries and it stopped, but it had worked for a while with this battery.

It gets really confusing, but long story short -

I was flying today. It cut out MID FLIGHT, and I almost lost it. It connected. I landed. Opened the plane, and the receiver was blinking - indicating a power shortage according to the manaul.

I tested the battery under a 1amp and 1.5 amp load. It tested (no load) 6.5 v, (1amp) 6.1, (1.5amp) 5.9v.

The ONLY common denominator in all of this has been my DX6i radio. I talked to Horizon, and they said the only thing that would cause it to blink is the low voltage. Could they be wrong? Could there be an issue with the radio that would cuase it to relay the low voltage message?

Thank you for any help. I'm so confused on what to do, due to the number of items involved, it seems impossible to troubleshoot

Old 04-09-2009, 05:57 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Please help me with these Spektrum problems

Take a look at all the common denominators that all the receivers share...

-Transmitter? Horizon says the symptom doesn't match a transmitter problem and they are probably right but I wouldn't rule it out completely.
-Battery? You've checked it on the ground but could it have a problem in the air, under vibration?
-Switch? Did all the receivers act up using the same switch? Could there be a voltage drop across the switch? Even an intermittent drop can cause big problems. The problem doesn't have to be in the switch itself, it could be in one of the leads or plugs.
-Extensions or other wiring? do you have an extension between the switch and receiver or battery? If so, look at the connections.
-Some sort of oddball servo issue? Not sure how this could affect a receiver but I also know that I haven't come close to seeing it all yet either.

If I were to wager, I'd put my money on a voltage drop in the switch or associated wiring.

If you are in doubt about the receivers, send them to Horizon to get checked out. I've sent two in. One came back repaired, one was replaced with brand new. Both at no charge. They are great people to deal with.

Also, what kind of plane is this happening in?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:39 PM
aerowoof

I saw some post in the beginners forum regarding a recall on the dx6xi I believe.my want to check and see
Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 PM
trpastor

Oh, I should have mentioned, my DX6i WAS recalled. I had it fixed and got it back. (the petentiometer) but that was where you're throws were not working correctly. They would start "skipping" spaces between the range, therefore limiting the full range of the movement.

Anyway, got that fixed
Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 6200 in my Pulse with my 6i. I had the same, or similar problem last season where I lost control and couldn't recover. It went in pretty hard and when I picked up the pieces, the rx was flashing as well. I knew it wasn't the battery since it had just been charged before that flight and under load after the crash it had plenty of juice in it. Sent in the receiver and battery to Horizon to be checked out. They did send back new rx and batttery, but when I put that equipment in my plane, it was giving me the same problem. I chased it for a while, and determined that a switch connection was the real culprit, not the battery or rx. Once I replaced the switch, haven't had a problem since.

Check that switch out............
Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

I can't understand the problems I have read about on the discussion forum.I fly nothing but Spectrum, two Specktrum, one Jr 8301 converted, and have not had a single problem. My way is to bind the unit before installing, put in every thing, get it set where I want it, then rebind. It has been flawless.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:02 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

If the lights are flashing you're having a low voltage problem. As others have said, vibration, connections, switch, something isn't cutting it in your power system.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: macdona

I can't understand the problems I have read about on the discussion forum.I fly nothing but Spectrum, two Specktrum, one Jr 8301 converted, and have not had a single problem. My way is to bind the unit before installing, put in every thing, get it set where I want it, then rebind. It has been flawless.
Me too. I had one problem on the first installation. That was my own fault. Fixed it and have had zero problems since.

I also bind multiple times. I bind and do my bench setup. Then I do my maiden flight. Land. Make adjustments and bind right there at the field. Fly it a couple times. Make TX adjustments ... travel adjustment, expo, sub-trim etc... then bind again. I know you shouldn't have to do this, but I bind again after each adjustment with the TX. If you go into the programming menu and make 1 tiny adjustment of down elevator travel.... bind it. As I said, I know it's not supposed to work like that. I'm no software guru or computer nerd. I've been called a complete idiot for binding as many times as I do. I ain't wrecked a plane though.......... not because of a Spektrum problem.

Try setting it up the way you want. Then bind it. Go to the field. Fly it. Land and adjust your expo or endpoints. Bind it. Fly it again. Land it. Make adjustments to sub-trims or whatever you need. Dial in your flaps mix. Bind it. Fly it. Pain in the butt, but it seams to work.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

What are the technical benefits of re-binding so many times? Aren't you making up your own superstitious habits? I bind once and I'm done and have never had a problem. Maybe I need to go back and read the manuals. Not to sound sarcastic, but seriously...

Kurt
Old 04-10-2009, 07:04 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

You should rebind when you're finished setup or when you make any major programming changes
Old 04-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Bozarth

I cannot find this in the Futaba manual. Please cite your source that states "binding is required or recommended after finishing a setup or after major programming changes." I don't think the binding link is related. Once again, we should not create superstitious non-correlationed habits and defend them with blanket statements such as "its good idea" or "recommended". Please provide the facts behind your statement. Thanks!

Kurt
Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Bozarth

I also looked this idea up in the Spektrum manual (I had only looked in the Futaba manual prior to my other post). It states that it is only necessary to bind the receiver during first installation.

Kurt
Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rebinding after changing the set up isn't required. Once it's bound you shouldn't have a problem. Making changes to the set up and rebinding is more of a fail safe to ensure the changes 'stick'. I rebind mine after I change something too. Habit maybe, piece of mind definately.

The flashing light indicates some type of low voltage issue that the rx experienced. Could be battery, some connection problem, switch or other things. None the less, correcting the voltage problem is required because if that isn't fixed, it will happen again sooner or later, and at that point, it may be that it won't land on it's wheels next time. I've mentioned how I know that.......
Old 04-10-2009, 08:17 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

I cannot find this in the Futaba manual. Please cite your source that states "binding is required or recommended after finishing a setup or after major programming changes." I don't think the binding link is related. Once again, we should not create superstitious non-correlationed habits and defend them with blanket statements such as "its good idea" or "recommended". Please provide the facts behind your statement. Thanks!

Kurt
The thread is referring to a Spektrum radio and it isn't superstition or a weird habit. Will it work if you don't re-bind? You bet but there could be a problem. With a Spektrum, the binding process also sets the fail-safe condition. The fail-safe is what the receivers is instructed to do if it loses the transmitter signal. Generally you want the fail safe to pull the throttle back, put the gear up or down (I say up), etc. If you reverse a channel during set up but don't re-bind then your fail safe will be backward.

I have witnessed this first hand. A guy binds his receiver then sets up the plane. In the process he reverses the throttle but never re-binds. At the field he has a brain fart and turns off the transmitter with the engine running. The throttle goes to wide open and the plane shoots forward, eventually slamming into a fence or something if he is lucky or a person if he is unlucky.

Always re-bind your Spektrum after the plane is set up to make sure the fail safe does what you want it to. I'm not sure if Futaba is the same or not since I've never owned their 2.4GHz radio.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:19 PM
A6Ordie

If it isn't a switch or connection problem, which is most likely. Check all your servos, you could have one that is binding up and drawing a lot of current which in turn lowers the voltage enough to set off the receivers low voltage indicator. The servo may even be working fine by looking at it, but still having power issues.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Bozarth

Chuck

Your reason is a good one! The other reasons mentioned i.e. "1 tiny adjustment of down elevator travel" aren't.

Kurt
Old 04-12-2009, 02:58 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Somewhere you're getting a voltage drop and the receiver is losing the link. If you see the receiver flashing, the link has been lost.

Some of my buds solved this problem with the Spektrum voltage protector. http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1600
It works well with the park flyers.

I have the PK Corsair and was flying it for a month. Then one day it decided to head nose down. I openned it up and the AR500 was flashing. I took it home and tried to duplicate the link loss, but couldn't. The next day the same thing but I shattered the wing going thru the trees.

I purchased a new wing set, watt meter, and a AR6200. As I was testing my Lipos I noticed the PK 11.1v Lipo would only put out 7.75 volts. That was telling me a cell was dead in a new battery.

As I was installing the new receiver I noticed the infamous motor mount screw that everyone knew about but me. It had punctured my Lipo and at times was shorting out my system, losing the link in flight.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:52 PM
ktreadway

Use Failsafe Switches
Old 04-12-2009, 08:58 PM
trpastor

what does that voltage protector do? is it like a back up battery?

what are failsafe switches?

thanks
Tim
Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

ORIGINAL: trpastor

what does that voltage protector do? is it like a back up battery?

what are failsafe switches?

thanks
Tim
The voltage protector is a capacitor. It holds a small charge. I guess you could call it a small battery. A momentary voltage loss from your power supply and your link would be protected by the VP. For $5 it can't hurt.