Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

can i use this ply?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

can i use this ply?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 08:00 AM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i use this ply?

hi, i know this may be a stupid question but i am starting a new plane from plans and it calls for 1/4 ply was over to home depot and they had some nice 1/4 ply large sheet birch for less than $8 a sheet my question is can i use this instead of order it through likew balsa usa or lonestar? thinking of cost here and for $8 i can get a sheet from home depot to do all the parts i need thanks
Old 06-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as it's five ply it would be fine for firewall, LG, etc.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go 4 it!
Old 06-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Stick Jammer

It depends on what and where it's used. If you need 1/4" lite ply, that stuff from the Depot is gonna add a lot of weight to the airframe. If the plans call for aircraft ply, (firewalls, gear blocks, etc.), then personally, that's what I would use. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that plain old birch ply is the same quality as aircraft ply, even if it has the same amount of layers.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:28 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used it. Make sure it is 5 ply and straight. I have even gotten some really good ply off the bottom of pallets. Was good stuff.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:14 PM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

Default Home Depot birch ply

I personally wouldn't use this plywood for anything on an aircraft. I do use it but only for things that don't fly, like a small carry box for my field charger. This stuff is designed for cabinets, not airplanes. It has very thin veneer of peeled birch, front and back, over a core of what looks like compressed wood fibers. It's brittle and heavy. Use at your own risk!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Giant Scale

If what you are refering to is Luan plywood I would not use it for any structural parts on an airplane. Plywood is classified/graded on the glue used, finish of the sheet and the amount of voids in the sheets. Most plywood used for general building doesn't work well for model building. If you only need enough for some formers and LG plate I'd purchase some 5 ply birch plywood. You may be able to locate a furniture grade or cabinet grade plywood locally from a specialty supplier of wood.