Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Robart High Point Prop Balancer Paperwork Needed!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Robart High Point Prop Balancer Paperwork Needed!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart High Point Prop Balancer Paperwork Needed!

I recently acquired a fine old, long discontinued Robart High Point Prop Balancer; but alas, no paperwork. []

If someone would provide me with copies of the original paperwork, i.e. instructions, parts list, etc.; I would be more that happy to pay the reasonable cost of same. I emailed Robart with my request, but they aparently are too busy to respond.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Regards to all!
Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Robart High Point Prop Balancer Paperwork Needed!

Hi!
Why paperwork for a balancer???
Just push the rod with the two cones on the prop and hang the prop on the balancer!
You sand the prop blade that is heavy (always sand on the front side, curved side , of the prop). When you are ready the prop should balance in every position you place it in.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:56 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Robart no longer makes nor sells the high point

You might try Bennett Built? http://www.bennettbuilt.com/

Here's the Dubro prop balancer instructions. They should suffice http://www.dubro.com/hobby/documents...0908091421.pdf
Old 05-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: jaka
You sand the prop blade that is heavy (always sand on the front side, curved side , of the prop). When you are ready the prop should balance in every position you place it in.
You should never sand the front of the prop, you could too easily distort the airfoil and mess up the prop. Light sanding on the back of the prop is recommended. Or, you could drop a couple drops of thin CyA and spread it quickly with a plactic wrapped finger, (don't hit it with accelerator, as it will bubble). After the glue cures, lightly sand it with ultra fine sandpaper to bring it into perfect balance.

This is my personal opinion, as is sanding the front of the prop yours, however sanding the back of the prop would be a little easier as it is flat, the front is curved.

Jon
Old 05-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Ed Smith

You should never sand the front of the prop, you could too easily distort the airfoil and mess up the prop.
That is incorrect. Jaka is correct.

If the flat side is sanded the pitch of the sanded blade will be different from the other blade. When sanding the blade care must be taken not to alter the airfoil. It is easier to maintain the airfoil than it is the pitch. Do not forget to balance the hub as well.

Ed S
Old 05-14-2009, 12:00 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Why paperwork for a balancer???
Just push the rod with the two cones on the prop and hang the prop on the balancer!
I will mask off about 1/2" of the light prop tip and use spray paint to make that tip a bit heavier. If after two light coats it still need more weight, I move the masked area to an inch and spray again. This way the airfoil is not changed and makes seeing the spinning prop easier when installed.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Ed Smith

Paint will wear off after a while. Then you are back where you started.

Ed S
Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sand the end off. There's no rule that says both blades have to be the same length.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In the last 57 years, I've done all the above at one time or another and they all worked
Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

You should never sand the front of the prop, you could too easily distort the airfoil and mess up the prop.
That is incorrect. Jaka is correct.

If the flat side is sanded the pitch of the sanded blade will be different from the other blade. When sanding the blade care must be taken not to alter the airfoil. It is easier to maintain the airfoil than it is the pitch. Do not forget to balance the hub as well.

Ed S
Good point Ed, but remember when sanding to balance a prop (talking wood props here) we are not taking off wood, but a little of the varnish on the prop. If you go through the varnish, to the wood, you have gone too far, and lost the fuel proof properties the manufacturer intended. If the prop is so far out of balance that taking off some of the varnish on the back side of the heavy blade does not balance it, then one should resort to adding paint to the light blade to bring it's weight up some to bring it into balance. Painting the tips to get balance is perfectly accepable, and the added bonus is visable tips to keep your fingers out of the prop arc.

"Plastic" props pose a different set of rules. (Master Air Screw, APC) I take a sharp #11 blade and first scrape the mold flashing off the edges (especially the TE of the blades, they're like knives). Put 'em on the balancer and let 'em find center. Then taking the knife again, scrape (one or two swipes) off the TEof the heavy blade. Don't worry about flat spotting the TE, it won't effect the performance of the prop. It sould only take a couple swipes to bring it into balance. Remember, you are not whittling out a new blade. Hold the #11 blade 90° to the TE and scrape off a little material at a time.

Also, with Master Air Screw blades, there are recesses in the hub that one can fill with modeling clay toget balance, or you can use epoxy andsome lead shot if youwant.

Stay safe!

Jon

Old 05-22-2009, 03:00 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Of course you must have the same blade lenght! Doing anything else is just foolish!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course you must have the same blade lenght! Doing anything else is just foolish!
You're kidding, right? There are one-blade props, and there would be more if it weren't so hard to balance them and if the one blade didn't have to be so long. So you think six inches on one side and zero on the other is OK, but 3 inches on one side and 2.95 inches on the other isn't?

"Of course" is shorthand for "I can't cite any reference for this statement."
Old 12-17-2009, 11:44 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Yeager

I recently acquired a fine old, long discontinued Robart High Point Prop Balancer; but alas, no paperwork. []

I'm also looking for a scan of the original Robart instructions to go with my balancer.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:49 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Bob Yeager
The origional High Point Ballancer was designed, manufactured, and sold by Dennis Belick (not sure
of that last name spelling?) He sold the product to Robart. I think some other manufacturer also copied
it (mostly) in plastic. They work great for boat props, and fly wheels too. You might try to find Dennis. I
believe he used to live in Indiana, Illionis, or Ohio. A better idea would be to find someone locally who
has one, and they could show you how to use it. There's a lot of them out there.
I have to disagree with some of the previous posts on reworking props. First off, a single bladed prop is
the most efficient. Back in the 30's there was a guy who flew his full scale Champ all over the country
to promote his single blade Aeromatic prop. I flew single bladed props back in the 50's. The free flight and controline guys have been flying them for years. Even the RUBBER power guys have used them. Yes
they have to have a counter weight. The only draw back is that they exert heavy side loads on the shaft
and bearings. Over a period of a lot of running something will fail, because most engines are not designed for that kind of abuse.
I have also reworked ever square milimeter on wood, nylon, fiber filled nylon, glass and, carbon fiber
props. I've sanded the back, front, leading edge, trailing edge, and hub. I raced 6 inch props with one
blade a half inch longer than the other. The only props I've seen come apart had bad wood grain, or in
the case of plastic props, they had air bubbles. Greg
Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Greg,

Thank you for your very interesting input!
Old 07-05-2016, 09:44 PM
BruichLaddich

Originally Posted by Bob Yeager

If someone would provide me with copies of the original paperwork, i.e. instructions, parts list, etc.; I would be more that happy to pay the reasonable cost of same. I emailed Robart with my request, but they aparently are too busy to respond.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Regards to all!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image (7).jpg
Views:	358
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2171478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image (8).jpg
Views:	425
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2171479