Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Expert glow driver

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Expert glow driver

Old 05-04-2009, 08:01 PM
maninblk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert glow driver

I have the expert onboard glow driver. I need to know if the leads to the glow driver need to be reversed? I can't seem to light the glow plug for starting
Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Expert glow driver

Did you program it to come on with throttle? Did you leave it on for a long time and burn out the glow plug?....Lastly this is a real stupid question did you remember to hook the black wire to the engine and when trying the glow plug to touch the outside of the plug to the engine?....I have used this on board glow a few times....I fly at both J-ville clubs...If you want, send me a private mesage and we can discuss this on the phone.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 AM
maninblk

yes it is programmed with the throttle, did not leave it on too long, yes it is grounded good. I use an f plug on a 0s 160 and tried a few different batteries, found out my wires were too small and too long so trimmed them down and then pooooffffff, hooked up a 4 cell battery after trying with 1 cells and not getting enough glow and the 4 cell burned out the plug, I am at my wits end with this thing.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:57 PM
maninblk

Well folks, here is the cure to this Expert onboard glow driver. Make sure that all your wires are as short as possible. I did use a switch for my battery but had to cut the wire on the battery to make them shorter. Doesn't really matter what gauge, just make them short as possible. Now for the real culprit, It really doesn't matter what polarity is coming out, whether you reverse the out going or not. just make sure that the battery is done as per instructions and labels. I did reverse the output polarity but it didn't make any difference. Just make sure your wires are as short as possible and it should work as it should, with 4cell or 5cell or even a 1 cell. It is work good. Another thing is make sure your switch is rated for 5 amps or more. This things draws about 3-4 amps when it is on.

Again, THE SHORTER THE WIRES, THE HOTTER THE PLUG WILL GET.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

am I wasting my time with this unit as I got one from an estate and was going to finally use it but after reading this I might just go to electrodynam as they hav a unit also.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

I just bought a Gee Bee with the Expert glow driver on it. Flew it two times and it burned out. Bought another one and installed it. It lasted six flights and burned out. Called the company and checked to see if I was doing anything wrong. Everything was hooked up as per their spec. They sent me another unit. Since then I installed Saito Radial and also installed the Electro Dynamic multi cyl unit and have flown the plane about ten times and the unit seems to be working perfectly. My choice, even though it's much more expensive, is the Electro Dynamic unit.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make my own OBG drivers using a rechargeable C cell, glow plug connector and a toggle switch.

I leave it on for the whole flight, flew 4 flights one day powering my Super Tiger 90 and had plenty of juice left, it has never gone dead on me.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Carlos Murphy

I make my own OBG drivers using a rechargeable C cell, glow plug connector and a toggle switch.

I leave it on for the whole flight, flew 4 flights one day powering my Super Tiger 90 and had plenty of juice left, it has never gone dead on me.

I, too, don't understand why one would not just build their own system. One rechargeable C battery and a relay for $25( http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...-BATTLSW1.html ) and a safety switch. The relay is activated from a receiver channel. I use the gear channel and manually control it. However, one could easily mix the radio command if throttle position was the desired mode of activation. Works good, lasts a long time and is a lot less expensive.

I just found the post I made this past summer with a simple diagram. For one glow plug, just remove the second glow plug wire and use only one battery. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8898804
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx72016.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1330462