Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Parachute Landing for Airplane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Parachute Landing for Airplane

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Aerobender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parachute Landing for Airplane

Need info on installing a parachute. Need to parachute from flight to landing (like the Cirrus emergency parachute). What's out there?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Parachute Landing for Airplane

It can be done, and has been discussed in these forums before ( you could do a search ). About 10 years ago there was a company who marketed a recovery parachute for models, but apparently they went out of business. I think the primary issue was how to activate it. If you have a system that deploys the chute when you flip a switch on the transmitter, will you remember to do it in a moment of panic as your plane plummets from the sky? If it activates automatically, how does it know the difference between an impending crash and an ordinary aerobatic manuever (like a loop)?

But, it would really impress everyone as your plane floats gently down to earth!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

The only current source I've seen for model aircraft is this:

http://the-rocketman.com/model-recovery.html

I guess you'd have to call them and find out more. They have some neat drogue and recovery chutes for rockets.

Jesse
Old 05-10-2009, 09:23 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The testing for the ballistic chutes were done with RC planes ( one kind of looked like a Falcon 56)in the early 80s, with some small articles in Model Aviation describing what they were trying to accomplish. You could blow up some plans for rc paratrooper chutes; I know MA had plans for jumpers. Are you doing it to try ,or do you want it to save a plane?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

wild cat fuels made them and I got the last two. Not enough sales to continue. Its a turtle shaped pod that goes on the top of a high wing with a small drone shute that pulls out a larger one. I understand they work pretty well. Never have used mine yet. My son fell on the plane I was going to use it on so I have to get another.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:25 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

if ya had installed an airbag on your plane instead of the chute , your son falling on it wouldn't have hurt the plane LOL